Author Topic: Smartwheel, ICC Flash problem  (Read 7564 times)

Kirk Foster

Smartwheel, ICC Flash problem
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
I have a 2008 Contessa Pacifica, purchased used in July 2012.  The ICC headlamp flash does not work when the headlamps are off.  It works fine when the headlamps are on.  All other Smartwheel functions appear to work normally (cruise, wipers, clearance lamp flash, idle speed, etc.)  Here's where it gets really weird:

The headlamp off flash function works fine just after the ignition key is turned on and the chassis electronics is going through diagnostics (about 30 seconds.)  Once the dash gauges are activated, the flash function no longer works. I can still hear the relay clicking in the controller module when I press the switch, but the lights don't flash.  

I have looked at the Smartwheel Troubleshooting guide, but I have not yet exhumed the controller and gone through the troubleshooting steps, and given the symptoms I'm not sure that the controller is the issue.  

Any ideas?

Steve Jewell

Re: Smartwheel, ICC Flash problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:46:04 AM »
Do you have day time running lights?

Steve

Kirk Foster

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
@ Steve:
If I do, they're not working either, and that would explain the problem. Do you know if that was standard equipment on the 2008?  

Kirk Foster

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »
This is getting more complicated.  Went to the storage unit and looked at the coach today.  The relay on the chassis service panel for the Daytime Running Lights is missing.  I plugged in the spare relay and the lights came on, as did the high beam indicator on the instrument panel.  Unfortunately, the key was not on, nor was the headlamp switch.  
I noticed that there are two relays in the upper left hand side of the bay one marked HI and one LO.  They are wired with heavy black wire and I did not trace the wires, but it appears that it may be a modification similar to the one mentioned elsewhere on this board to address dim headlights.  
After I unplugged the relay, the headlights and indicator light went off.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:40:42 AM by 7887 »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:37 AM »
Hi Kirk, I am not that sharp on you wiring issues myself but if you contact Roy Muller he may be able to help you.  I would also suggest you post some photos on the forum of the area with the wiring we may have other members that know the system.

Roy has done many modifications on many Beavers with head light (high beam) issues including ours(06 Thunder)  Bill ( George Lucas) Sprague did a video of Roy doing the high beam upgrade this feature film and is now now playing on the Forum.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »
When we took delivery of our 2008 Contessa I asked the training tech how to use the flash feature of the Smart Wheel and we couldn't get it to work.  They called Monaco and were told it was not hooked up on Contessa's and could only be used with the lights on.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Kirk Foster

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »
Thanks Mike.  Does your coach have Daytime Running Lights?

@Jerry: Thanks, I will post a picture. I did look at that video,  which is what drew my attention to the two aforementioned relays.  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 02:47:23 AM »
Kirk,
If the heavy black wires from the relays go to TB1-4 & 5 and CB25, you've got the headlight mod.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »
I think you are referring to the switch that is driving lights and I will check them in the next few days.  I think they work
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Kirk Foster

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »
@Mike: No, it's not the driving lights.  The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) is a feature that turns on the headlights at a lower power during the daytime.  It only turns on headlights,  not marker lamps.  It usually only turns them on when the vehicle is running, in gear, and the parking  brake is released - although configurations may vary from one manufacturer to another. As I understand it, DRL is required in Canada, and possibly in some states in the US.  I have been exploring the issue and find that it was/is an option on Monaco coaches, and I suspect it was on ours as well.  On some Monaco coaches, owners have been able to add a module made by a company called Hamsar that turns on the DRL on their coaches.  
My coach has an empty socket for a DRL module or relay on the extreme left side of the lower row of relays on the circuit board in the chassis electrical service bay. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but I am beginning to suspect that the option was not installed on my coach and that may be why my ICC lights don't function properly. I'll post a photo of the circuit board later to try to explain.  
I know I should just leave well enough alone, but my OCD won't allow it...  

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
Quote from: Steve Huber Co-Admin
Kirk,
If the heavy black wires from the relays go to TB1-4 & 5 and CB25, you've got the headlight mod.
Steve
There is a commercial version of the mod that has you run bigger wires all the way from the battery.  Jay Todd installed it on his previous Beaver.