Author Topic: Should You Be Able To Access Aladdin With Key Off?  (Read 7096 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Should You Be Able To Access Aladdin With Key Off?
« on: January 11, 2013, 03:42:05 AM »
First, the coach is an '06 Thunder.  The only access I have to the Aladdin system is if the key is in the ON or RUN position.  Is this the way it is supposed to operate?  In reading the manual, it would appear that I should be able to “wake” the system at any time from any of the three stations.  On our previous ’04 Thunder, I was able to view the cameras at night from the bedroom TV and I know I didn’t have the ignition key in the “ON” position.  Any help would be appreciated.  
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Should You Be Able To Access Aladdin With Key Off?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »
 Indeed, you should be able to turn on the screen with the ignition off, although certain features such as engine status won't provide data.  As to why you aren't able to do that, I'll apologetically have to defer to others more familiar with the system.

I don't know if it might be related to your recent battery crash and generator issue;  you could try flipping the Aladdin reset switch off and on, Norm.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:34:54 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
Hi Norm, we have the 06 Thunder also with the aladdin system but the system does run with our key off on our rig from all three of the joy stick locations.
WE don't do anything to turn it on but move the joystick forward to power up or to the right to power off.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
Neither my Alladin or Silverleaf systems operate with the key Off.  The Alladin operates with the key in either the On or Assessory position.  The Silverleaf operates only in the On position.  Usually when I am parked I leave the key in the Assessory position with the Alladin showing the Coach Electrical status.  I can see the Kenwood screen from my recliner while watching TV.  I'm still learning, so I like to monitor the charging and various system amp requirements as they cycle in an out.  If I am plugged into 30 amp, then I tend to more frequently look to the Coach Electrical screen to make sure I am not drawing too much power and thereby risking blowing the breaker on the site's power pedestal.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
By feeding the Aladdin signal into a TV input, you can simply select that input with your TV remote to check things.  The rub is that you will have to get out of your easy chair to change Aladdin screens with a joystick.

Norm, your Aladdin appears to have lost its independent power connection somehow;  the only time it should need ignition power is for current engine data input, and even then I think the ignition is mainly for powering the engine computer, not the Aladdin itself.  I'm hoping a member with some idea how your Aladdin power should be configured might chime in.  I'll try to find time to go get my schematic book and check;  it's not for a Patriot, but as I recall there's several pages of Aladdin diagrams, and the coach setups can't be too different in that component.  Did you try the reset?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Les Marzec

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
My Aladdin works on the TVs any time that I have 110V AC to them without the key on.  To see the info on my Kenwood, I have to have the ignition key on, either run or accessory.

Les

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »
I want to thank everyone for your help and suggestions.  Joel, yes, I'm the same Norm that had the alternator problem.  I have had the coach for a little over 6 months and there are a number items on the coach which needs a number of items addressed.  Thus my one of the reasons we traveled from TN to the Northwest.

Regarding the reset button, I have not tried to reset it, wasn't aware of it but will try to locate it and do just that.  I also will try to view the Alladin on the TV without the key turned on.  I'll report back on my progress.  Thanks again.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
It would appear you aren't the only one that can't call up the Aladdin on your video with the key off, Norm.   It should work just like your '04.  My '06 combines the Aladdin display with the outside cameras on one Sony screen.  I wonder if this is an issue with the Kenwood configuration, but perhaps you and Jerry have Sonys too?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »
Joel you are correct again we do have the sony system
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bob Jae

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
My coach is new to me and is in storage.  However I checked some of the photo's I took because I was pretty sure the Aladdin worked with the key off.  We also have the Sony and it does work with the key off.  All I had to do was move one of the joy sticks as long as the Aladdin reset switch was turned on.

Bob Jae
2006 Monterey

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:17 AM »
OK, I have done some more hands-on research and found that I am able to view the Aladdin information and the cameras on the TVs in both the living and bedroom areas without the key being on.  I can only see the information and cameras on the Kenwood display when the key is in the ON or RUN possitions, not the Accessory position.  From the responses here, this is probably normal, or at least acceptable.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN