Author Topic: Labor saving Fantastic Vent Update  (Read 6661 times)

Joel Weiss

Labor saving Fantastic Vent Update
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Since all of you probably have Fantastic Vent fans installed in your MHs, I suspect I'm not the only one who has a DW who periodically says something like "those fan blades in the exhaust fan are filthy; why don't you clean them?"  If you're like me, the answer is something like "do you know how many little screws have to be removed just to get the stupid screen off?  I'll do it when I have some spare time!"  ;D

I wanted to let folks know that there is an easy way of keeping this dialog from repeating itself.  Fantastic Vent now sells a replacement pop-off screen which fits any of their units, even my 12-yr-old ones.  They are relatively inexpensive and are sold in a 2-pack; the entire online transaction was ~$20.  Installation time is about 30 seconds longer than removal of the old screen and all those screws.  Cleaning time for the disgusting looking fan blades is at your discretion.  

I bought mine here:
https://www.rvpartscountry.com/PopftnLockVentScreenOffWhiteFanTastic.html
(As an aside, do not buy the ones listed on Amazon even though they appear to be cheaper; if you read the customer reviews they are sold individually despite a picture of the 2-pack being shown in the ad.)

I highly recommend this as both a labor and marriage saving RV improvement!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:21:14 PM by 6332 »

MarcRodstein

Re: Labor saving Fantastic Vent Update
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
I made that switch a few years ago.  Well worth it.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
I showed Pat how to use an electric screwdriver.

Didn't go over real well as she mentioned the screwdriver and suppository in the same sentence.

William Mathews

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
You can clean the fan blades by going on the roof, unfastening the motor/fan assy and lifting it up. The blades, recess and cover are easy to clean then!
Bill M
03 Contessa

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
Thread Hi-Jack:

I just had my FF quit.  The automatic open wasn't.  Nor would it close if I lifted the vent from above.  So I took it apart.  
First: getting the 8 little screws out to take off the screen for cleaning (obviously had never been done in 14.5 yrs) took a few seconds - what is the big deal?
Second: the failure was the pressed in axle that the lift arm rides on had flopped out, so once I found it, pounded it back into the housing, everything is back working properly.  Total job time, including the much needed washing, 1/2 hour.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:29:03 AM »
Keith--

The chances are high that the lift arm will fail again; it did for me after I had repaired it.  I assume you are aware that FF is still providing free replacement parts to owners who called (they were as of a few months ago).  At most they will charge you nominal shipping.  My suggestion is to get the parts if they are still free; eventually Atwood which now owns FF will no doubt stop giving them away.

BTW, if it's so easy to remove the screen how come it hadn't been done in 14.5 years?  > ;D

Joel

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »
Guys, I recently replaced both of my FF.  they were sent to me at no charge.  The complete kit less the cover.

They came with the snap on screens and I saved the old ones just in case.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »
Joel: BTW, if it's so easy to remove the screen how come it hadn't been done in 14.5 years?  >

OK, I should look up more often.

Tom:
What did you tell them to get new ones send to you?

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 02:47:14 AM »
Keith, mine was not responding to temp change and would stay open and run, only way I could lower it was to disengage the electric motor.  I told the guy since it was 13 years old could he go ahead a send a second one because it is likely to fail soon and he agreed.  Nice folks and it saved me shipping a separate unit.

Hope this helps.