Author Topic: clearance for the replacement residential refrigerator  (Read 8052 times)

Doug Allman

clearance for the replacement residential refrigerator
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
 The Norco gas unit had rear and top clearance/ventilation.
 When reworking the refrigerator cabinet to accept the Samsung residential refrigerator, RF18, does anyone have any info on what kind of in compartment clearance space is required or needed to allow this unit to function properly?
Do you close off the roof vent completely or leave it so you can open in warmer months for ventilation of the compartment?
Do you close off the side of the coach vent (old lp gas access cover) completely or leave so you can open in warmer months?

I have been advised by retailer that to be sure to attach top of refrigerator to cabinet as they have had numerous RV,rs come back in due to the refrigerator tipping out of compartment when going around a corner.

I have purused the door and freezer keep closed info but found or missed the info on the above.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: clearance for the replacement residential refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
Doug, My wife and I put the Samsung RF197 in our Thunder 2 years ago. I put 4 inches of insulfoam in the roof vent completely closing it off. I also sealed off the side vent with thick tape and a removable piece of insulfoam. I left about a 2inch gap above the refer where the trim goes for air circulation. After using it for two years I think I really didn't need to leave the 2inch gap, maybe 3/4inch. Mine is fastened at the bottom front with 2 5/6 bolts (one on each side) and a safety strap at the top. We love it. My old Nocold went out the entry door and the Samsung came in the same way.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:01:30 PM »
Hello Marty,
  did you remove the doors on both the old and new reefers to get them in/out thru the front door?   Some photos would be great if you have them please.
 svpelican1@hotmail.com         Thanks,   Jeremy

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:53:45 PM »
Jeremy, Yes, I did remove the doors on both and the drawer front of the new freezer. I also removed the copilot seat (unbolted and moved back by the dinette laid down). I also had to remove all the screws at the door jamb to swing the entry door open wider. I set the door on a block of wood while my wife held it. Four of us (2 in and 2 out) muscled the old one out and the new one in. I then reinstalled the entry door.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:17 AM »
Marty,
   great pic.  Reefer looks amazing.  Many thanks,   Jeremy