Author Topic: Yellowstone Travel  (Read 17589 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Yellowstone Travel
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »
We checked out Yellowstone Holiday last fall (on their last open day of the year), and liked it, especially the newer eastern section, though it's spendy because much of it is right on the water and it is a popular place, hard to get a spot.  I imagine Stan will go down Hwy 20, following the Henry's Fork south.  We enjoy the back country route say from Ashton east and south via Driggs, or hwy 33 east out of Sugar City.  Of course I have to put in a plug here for beautiful Aspen Acres Golf and RV Park 7-8 miles southeast of Ashton.

We haven't been across the Victor/Jackson route, but in an RV detouring south via Alpine, WY, Palisades Reservoir, and Swan Valley was an okay route.  If he is only taking his toad across hwy 33/22 to explore Teton NP and Jackson daily, he should be fine, right Karl?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
Stan,

The route (so far) is to leave Gillette and then staying at buffalo on the 23. I am thinking that with 1400 coaches possibly leaving on the 23 getting anywhere that day may be interesting :)

From there to Cody for one night en route to west Yellowstone staying at grizzly for 5 nights. I looked at Yellowstone holiday but elected to be closer to the park. Then onto Flagg ranch for 4 nights. I had comcerns but then found out that it had been upgraded to 50 amp last fall.

Then to Dubois for overnight then  back up to Cody for a few nights. Up to red lodge for a night then who knows from there!

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
Joel,

Yes, Teton Pass is fine in a tow vehicle.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
Karl,

My plan is US 20 out of W Yellowstone to Idaho 33 at Sugar City to Victor? Does that work? Then I will use the toad to take the pass to Jackson...yes?

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »
Stan-

Your plan works fine, but I might suggest the "shortcut" of Hwy 32 out of Ashton as an alternative, having driven it several times myself.  It is a good road through ranch country, with relatively little traffic, an almost constant view of the Tetons, crosses a couple of rivers, and has always provided us with an enjoyable drive.  That said, Hwy 33 out of Sugar City, though straight and relatively mundane, will certainly not disappoint.  I just enjoy low traffic county roads like 32 with the opportunity to drive slow and fully enjoy the view through that great Beaver windshield.

And don't miss going west in your toad from Yellowstone Holiday up 287 to the west end of Earthquake Lake and the monument and geology displays re. the landslide that dammed the Madison River there.  You can also take the RV that route when you leave for the south, looping via 287 to 87 and connect with 20 at Henry's Lake.  Traveled it 6 times myself back and forth to W. Yellowstone and multiple fishing trips last fall.  All good roads.

Joel

P.S. - If you get to his fly shop in West Yellowstone while you're there, say "Hi" to Bob Jacklin for me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:32:14 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »
Joel,

Thank you for the suggestion. I believe I will go that route. I want to see scenery. And its not a long ride, so time is not important.

Stan

Jeff,

I have reservations for the 23rd. I'm with you. Hope we can get on the road at a decent hour.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 05:59:15 AM »
Jeff,

I think you will be amazed how 1200 coaches disappear in a short time, with no one guiding them.

Larry