Author Topic: Engine Air Filter  (Read 12912 times)

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Engine Air Filter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »
Andy,

Did you check for leaks at all the joints connecting the air tubing from the filter output through the air cooler to the engine intake?  Any leak along the way could cause the indicator not to rise.  It appears you are due for an air filter change anyway.  After you change the filter, the indicator should be up the scale a bit.  If it is still at zero, look for those connections for leaks.

Larry

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »
Quote from: LarryNCarolynShirk
Andy,

Did you check for leaks at all the joints connecting the air tubing from the filter output through the air cooler to the engine intake?  Any leak along the way could cause the indicator not to rise.  It appears you are due for an air filter change anyway.  After you change the filter, the indicator should be up the scale a bit.  If it is still at zero, look for those connections for leaks.

Larry

All the joints LOOK good, Larry. There are no obvious signs of a split boot or bad connection. I'll know more when I change the filter this coming week.
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »
Quote from: LarryNCarolynShirk
Andy,

Larry

BTW, Larry, the output from the filter goes directly to the turbo intake. After the turbo and through the cooler, the air is pressurized, so any leak there would result in a hissing noise and loss of boost (power). No such noise.
There are a couple of joints between the filter and the turbo, however. I did look at those and they appear to be sound. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Gerald Farris

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 04:30:50 AM »
Andy,
The 95 Patriot with the 8.3 Cummins had a very generous air intake system, and probably will not register any vacuum on the Filter Minder with a clean filter, but since you do not know when the last filter was changed, it will be prudent to replace the filter to prevent the possibility of engine damage if you have a defective one.

Gerald  

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »
Hello Dwight,

Nice to meet you as well.  We come to Calgary and camp at the site by the old Olympic ski hill.  Coming there this Sept to get a sat system installed. Anyways, if I  give you my email, and I can send you some pictures of my system. I have a opening low in the pass side, as well as the factory one high on the drives side, both join behind the air filter in collecter box.  My email is as follows:  mar02@hotmail.ca
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:55:17 AM by 14 »