Author Topic: Welding help  (Read 13750 times)

Adam Hicklin

Re: Welding help
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  

Gerald, my 12V compressor is in the front cap, just inside the small access door on the front of the coach.  Next to the hydraulic pump.  And yes, it is an HWH system.  I'm not sure if the compressor is working as I have not had the chance to level using the air suspension, and leaving it, like in a camp spot situation.  It does appear to be in good condition and is very protected from the elements.  If it's not working, it's probably due to non-use.  Where it is parked now, next to my house, there is a down slope beyond the limits of either leveling system, so I have left it alone.  I have a trip coming up at the beginning of April, so I will be able to put it through its paces!

Joel, any info that can prevent me from doing something stupid is always appreciated.

I think I'll create another post telling you all about this coach.  I'm sure you all have some very sound advice that goes beyond welding and leveling!

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »
Quick update.  We were able to get a hydraulic ram behind the mounting plate and were able to heat the plate and press it back to vertical.  Then re-welded the welds down the side where the leveler was welded to the base plate.  Lastly, we welded a 2x2 square 1/4 inch tube across the top of the base plate.  Bottom line...jack is straight, much stronger, and I didn't break anything else.  It was a good day.

As I posted on another thread, I could never get the ECM unplugged from the engine.  There must be some hidden locking mechanism or screw or something.  I spent a whole afternoon screwing with it.  I called a friend at CAT, explained my predicament and he told me they never disconnect the ECM when they weld anything.  NEVER.  And this is a rather large CAT dealer set up to work on motorhomes.  He told me to disconnect the batteries, keep the ground clamp close to the welding spot and have it, which I did.  I'm either very lucky and dodged a bullet, or he knew what he was talking about.  One way or another, it's done.

William Brosam

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »
good deal always like to hear good stories.

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »
Adam...Welcome to the Beaver Ambassador Club (BAC).  Since you have that beautiful color pattern which symbolizes Beaver's 30th Anniversary coach there are a few other owners with the same models who are trying to form a group to help answer questions and chat session pertaining to those 1998 coaches.  If you wish to follow up on this you might want to contact Ron Ulshoffer as he is the one spear heading the group.  You can find his email and phone number in the member directory.  He lives in Prescott, AZ. :)

As to parking your coach on cement or dirt I have always been told to place a piece of plywood or something similar under the tires as there seems to be some chemical reaction between the tires, cement and dirt that takes the oil out of the contact point of the tire thus reducing the life cycle of the tire.  Perhaps those chemists out there can verify this or rebuff the information. :-/

Hope to see at a rally sometime soon.  Be sure to check out the activities listed in the Beaver Tales newsletter. :)
Mandy Canales
BAC National Director
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 11:01:09 PM »
Thanks Mandy.  It has been a real treat so far and I really appreciate all those who have helped me get up to speed.