Author Topic: ECM Help!  Help!  (Read 4859 times)

Adam Hicklin

ECM Help!  Help!
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:25:13 AM »
I need to disconnect The ECM on a Cat 12 to do some welding.  I've located the two big multi-wire plugs on the passenger side of the engine.  Fro the life of me I can't pull them out of the connector.  Ken at BCS said they should just pull apart, but no can do.  Any tricks?  Suggestions?  I was able to get a some channel locks on the lower plug, but the housing is so brittle, I'm afraid I'll break it.  I'm open to suggestions.

1998 Marquis

Gerald Farris

Re: ECM Help!  Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »
Adam,
I have never had to unplug the ECM on a C-12, but in my other life (auto mechanic) all of the ECMs that I serviced had some kind of retainer to ensure that the connector always stayed in place. Some had an external retainer and some had a small bolt in the center of the connector that bolted the connector to the ECM.

Gerald  

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:10:58 AM »
Thanks Gerald. I can't feel anything around the plug which would indicate any type of retainer or bolt.  I'll certainly check again in the morning.  It's in an awkward place and hard to get a hold of but the thing won't budge.  Worse case scenario, if I can't unplug it, any suggestions for going forward with the weld?

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »
If not mistaken there should be a "ring" on the outside of the plug that must be unscrewed.  Then it will pull apart.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Tom, these two plug are rectangular.  

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »
Sorry Adam wrong series.  The rectangle plugs have a catch mechanism that has to be released.  Some of them actually have a bolt securing them together. Send a picture if you can.