Author Topic: 15 Amp Power Cord  (Read 14504 times)

Bill Sprague

Re: 15 Amp Power Cord
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
I have been watching this thread because we sold the house with the 30 amp outdoor receptacle, and need to install one at the new house. This time, the distance from the power cord bay to the outlet will be around 50 feet. Our 50 amp cord is 36 feet, and then we have an adapter that brings it to 30 amp that is about 3 feet long. Will a new 20 foot 30 amp adapter be sufficient, or will there be significant voltage drop?

Thank you for the help.

Stan
When we bought our motorhome 9 years ago I went to Camping World for an extension cord for those times I could get close enough to the box.  The 50 amp cord was very heavy and expensive.  To save weight and money, I bought a 30 amp cord that I think is 25 feet long.

I have used it many times with a standard adapter and have never had an issue as long as we remember to invoke and follow the "two appliance rule".  The Aladdin always shows 120 volts if that is what is at the source.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
Thank you, Bill.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »
A 30 amp extension is certainly fine, but still some bucks.  If you are only keeping the inverter/charger on or a dehumidifier, or the like, you can save $ using a 12 guage 15 amp.  Additionally, it is easier to handle and store than the bulky 30 or 50 amp cords.  

I occasionally use a toaster oven or the microwave, but not both, with my 25 ft. 12 guage.  Its 15 amp current capacity flows with a whole lot less voltage drop than a 14 guage.  It's great for when the coach is in storage, and can handle minimal appliance use prior to a trip or if used for overnight guests.  Just don't kick on an AConditioner.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat