Author Topic: Tire blowout procedure and aftermath  (Read 18487 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Tire blowout procedure and aftermath
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »
Road gators appear more often in spring after a long-haul trucker's winter.  Older, recently winter-stressed tires begin failing as highway temps heat up in Spring.  Truckers running at the edge of profitability try to max out their rubber, and may run recaps with less than stellar sidewall support left.  The older tires aren't up to the load capacity anymore.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 02:03:54 AM »
Most of the gators (tire tread carcus) are the result of retreads not new tires.  This is the result of two things.  One poor curing of the tire once the retread has been manufactured, or too low air pressure.  Joel is correct this is a cost savings to the truck owner versus new.
New tires can be capped or retreaded up to three times in their useful life and used.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:11 AM »
Having seen the results of a driver in a Toronto City bus who was steering with one hand,touched a curb,and tried to grab the steering wheel which was spinning at 1000 rpm's to full right lock........one broken wrist...one severed hand and a bus full of passengers into the ditch.   NEVER ever drive one handed........a right front blowout will cause the coach to slow down very quickly dragging you to the right very fast ; you hang onto that wheel with both hands to keep her straight and power her up to keep control........once under control  you can ease off the accelerator little by little till you are stopped. You will not need to touch the brakes.
 My apolgies for the heavy handed approach. After a while two handed driving becomes second nature,like using lights in daytime ,having well adjusted mirrors etc and you will   relax in the knowledge that from a drivers point of view you have your "bases" covered !!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:11:03 PM by 4115 »

Richard Cooper

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »
I always have both hands grasping the steering wheel.  I won't answer the cellphone while driving.  I don't listen to music or news....I want to hear all if any noises so to be aware of whats going on.  I don't even drink a Coke while driving.  I don't like to drive over about 2-1/2 to 3 hours at the most.  Too much stress to go longer.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 04:00:23 AM »
Although I agree with 2 hands on the wheel, and have certainly gone through times when I got stressed, I think you need to get to a place where you are more confident and relaxed, Richard.  You should be enjoying your coach on the highway more than it sounds like you are.  I've driven ours for as long as 10 hours, stressed only during certain urban freeway areas, like Boise, Salt Lake, or Denver, or small town roadside trees, but relaxed through 95% of the drives. And though I won't touch a phone while driving, I'm certainly able to enjoy a coffee or a Coke.

If your coach is requiring a lot of micro-steering or is riding with an abnormal amount of vibration, than stop on your way to Newport at Grant's Pass, and have Henderson's check your coach out.  Even if there's nothing wrong, you may find comfort knowing your coach has passed muster by the best.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 04:21:42 AM »
Richard,
I fully agree with Joel. I would rather drive my coach than any of my other vehicles under ANY conditions. I find it relaxing and usually drive 8-10+ hrs /day when on the road. That said, the instant you start feeling tired, get off the road. These big boys are very unforgiving if you aren't paying attention.  We download audio books from the library and listen to them or our music collection from our Zune. I route the Zune input through the disk player so I have volume control on the dash radio.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:24:28 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Richard Cooper

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »
I'm not really micro steering and there is no vibration.  It just hums along.  But, unlike you guys, I have no co-pilot.  Four eyes are better than 2 while driving a big rig.  I've only been stressed driving the Texas highways because the speed everyone wants to travel is greater than mine.  I am limited by my Honda toad to 65mph.  I don't go over 65.  But, I do think my better fuel economy is driving that speed.

I'm not one that gets up and drives at 8am.  I don't want to drive in the rain.  My headlights have not yet been fixed so as to be bright --- so I don't drive at night.  I like to pull into a CG at about 3pm and get set up.  Then relax, unwind, and drive the toad out and see what's in the area.  I don't want to be pulling into a CG when they are about to leave the office for the day.

I am in no hurry --- no deadlines.  Suits me fine to drive 2-3 hours and camp.  But, I am new to this somewhat.  I am gaining confidence.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
Richard,
You are going to find it difficult to find a CG every 2 or 3 hours when driving across west Texas. It is a lot further than that between towns in places out there.

Gerald

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
Richard,

You may be glad to know, when you reach California, Oregon and Washington, the speed limit for any vehicle towing anything, or with 3 or more axles, is 55 MPH.  You will not have to drive so fast.  However, almost everyone else will be passing you.

Relax and enjoy the west.

Larry

Richard Cooper

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
Gerald,

I've already plotted my course, where I will camp, and area.  I've researched the CG's on rvparkreviews.com, checked for discounts through Passport America and GSC.

I've got great CGs to stay in every night til I get to Palm Springs.....driving no more than 3-1/2 hours.  

The strong crosswinds are what stresses me out the most.

I drove out of Austin this morning in rain, but I wanted to get out of there.  I'm now in Junction, TX and its a nice CG.  Very friendly and easygoing trusting owners.  I'm all parked and setup, but they said to come in later and register, pay.

It's the only GSC CG in Junction off I-10 and I like this place.  Cute how chickens run though the CG.  My dog is fascinated with chickens.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
My first year in our Beaver was a trip to Florida from Seattle.  Basically, I drove the same route as you Richard.  It was a terrific adventure.  Please enjoy every minute of it.