Author Topic: Departure Sequence  (Read 8384 times)

Jim Wasson

Departure Sequence
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
We have a 2004 Santiam and I am confused on the starting and departure sequence. After I start the engine, I wait until we have 110 to 120 psi on the dash air pressure gauge, then push "D" and release the air brake and motor down the road with plenty of braking capacity.  The problem lately is, the low pressure warning alarm continues for another 4 to 5 minutes.  The idiot light on the dash doesn't indicate low pressure, and gauge pressure confirms that.  Am I sequencing this correctly.? We did not have this problem while traveling this summer.  
Any help or comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Gerald Farris

Re: Departure Sequence
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »
The problem is not the sequence you are using, unless you are not waiting for the jacks to fully retract. Are you sure that the alarm is for low air pressure and not a jack down alarm.

If you have a sticky jack or a bad jack sensor, you will get an alarm for jack down that sounds the same as a low air pressure alarm. If it is a jack down alarm there should be a warning light on the jack control pad.

Gerald

Jim Wasson

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
As part of my walk around prior to starting the engine I do check the jacks to make sure they are fully retracted.  Earlier on I did have a jack that was partially down, after lubrication that hasn't been a problem since and the pad sensor indicates green. Where would the jack sensor be located and is it serviceable?
Thanks,
Jim

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »
The air pressure guage on the dash does not indicate the pressure in your air bag suspension. Sounds like your  air supsension alarm. If you dump your air bags when you set up it can take a few minites to air it back up. Not a problem but you should wait for the alarm to stop before driving.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 01:55:47 AM »
The jack sensors are located on the jacks, but if you have a green light on the jack control pad, that should rule out a jack warning alarm.

I really do not know what is causing your alarm problem. Without being able to check the coach and observe when the alarm stops, and possibly disconnecting some sensors I can only make a blind guess.

See if you can see a change or a pattern that turns off the alarm. Other than that, it will be necessary to isolate the system that is causing the alarm in order to correct it.

Gerald

Jim Wasson

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:19:52 AM »
Gerald;
Thanks for the help anyway.  We'll keep working on this and hopefully the alarm will go away.
Best regards,
Jim

Jim Wasson

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 12:09:10 AM »
Would anyone know what the alarm monitors? So far we have ruled out the jacks since they are fully retracted, seat belt warning because they are being worn.  Is there some place in manual that indicates warning alarms, if there is I've missed it. I just don't know what other items to rule out, any help is appreciated.
Best regards,
Jim

George Harwell

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »
A low hydraulic reservoir can give a warning also. It will be totally normal until the coach starts moving then sloshing in the reservoir can cause the low level warning can sound.

Ron Gettig

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »
Jim;
I had the same trouble in my Santiam and the service dapartment at Lazy Days changes the pressure sensor below the parking brake knob . That was 2 years ago no problem since.

Ron Gettig

Jim Wasson

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »
Ron;
Thanks for the information.  I didn't even think about a pressure sensor below the brake knob.  I will check that out and see what it takes to replace the unit.  Again, thank you all for the forum it is a great source of information.
Best regards,
Jim