Author Topic: Exterior Skin Crack  (Read 21421 times)

Dave Cunningham

Re: Exterior Skin Crack
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:02:30 AM »
Ed, is that an Eleganza? I love those things, beaver coach is doing one up right now with a 60" flat screen built into the side , they were such cool looking units, worth big bucks these days when they are restored. Thanks for the corvette pix.

Dave

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »
It was a Canyon Land....very ugly at first. We modified and restored it redoing it inside and out. We then did a trip around the country when our kids were 8 and 11. We built in a set of seats for the kids between the driver and passenger front seat that could hinge out of the way for front access and also added some seat belts. I added a sun roof overhead and with the big GMC windshields and the 4 of us all in the front it was a great ride. It was a crazy big project, took a full year, but the road memories have stayed with all of us...money well spent. The company I worked for was not really happy with me using my vacation plus a 4 week leave of absence but they got over it.....not sure you could pull that one off today. 8 weeks on the road summer of 88, it was very hard to pull in the driveway and go back to reality.

Apologize for hijacking this thread...nostagia set in and I could not help myself.

Later Ed

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »
Here is a picture of one of the patches on my Marquis

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
This was my 66 Vette

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
This was my 72 LT-1 ,

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »
OK, we aren't exactly sticking like glue to the thread's fiberglass cracking theme, but I can't resist putting forth my experience with fiberglass (afterall, there are some Ford men among us):

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
Mike,
   definitley sand the fibreglass clean of paint.Sand the aluminum plates (bevel the edges as well ) and clean both with acetone before glueing with epoxy.  Use a few self tapping   screws to secure the plate. Use stainless steel screws.Do not overtighten or you will force the epoxy out and loose the bond.   After the epoxy has cured you can remove the screws to avoid an electolytic reaction.  Fill the holes,fair and paint.  

Hope this helps.

Edward Buker

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 02:43:31 AM »
Dave and Joel,

Really nice cars and a nice Sea Ray. BTW my corvette had a crack from the corner of the hood opening in the front...notorious for that. My old Sea Ray that we had for over 20 years...it was a great old boat, very well built.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:07:51 AM by 910 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
'Magine that... Chevy guys and Sea Rays.  Oh, I forgot my 350 Chev Merc!   ;) ;D ;D

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
Nice boats guys, never got into the ocean boats myself, but being a Chevy guy I would have to buy a SeaRay, and what else goes with Chevys and SeaRays, Harley Davidsons of course, come on Ed you must of had at least one, I have had four  over the years. Decided to quit before I killed myself.

Edward Buker

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
Dave,

Never had a Harley, thought about it in later years but never acted on that impulse. Had some Yamahas, and Hondas in early and later life. Also a Triumph Bonneville in my college years. That was probably my favorite motorcycle except for a Honda Super Magna that I had in my late forties that I wish I had never parted with. Honda made that bike for two years. Water cooled 4 cylinder, 4 carbs, 4 pipes, six speed, shaft drive, and 80HP in a low slung muscle bike...it was a good feat of engineering and style. I gave up motorcycles in my early 50s and was getting the itch again in my 60s but common sense had me opt for a Mini Cooper convertible instead. With texting, cell phones, and my not as crisp a skill set as I once had, I thought a sports car was better. My lack of helmet was not a wise move but I was 20 and helmet laws were yet to come....

I have enjoyed memory lane but probably not everyone has so I will end it here...email if you like ednjillb@hotmail.com... Apologize for not sticking to task here....

Later Ed

Mike Merchant

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
Dave; great pic, that is exactly what I had in mind. Found a scrap of thin Al sheet in my shop yesterday and made a template. Will have to  be about 2 inches longer but should blend in very well. The Beav may have to travel to Iowa this summer with a silver patch since I doubt I'll get it painted in time.

Jeremy - was thinking of drawing the patch down with screws but was concerned about counter-sinking the heads to keep them flush. Simply removing them after they have done their job is the obvious answer.

The thread has unwound a bit, which is not a bad thing. Since I am IT impaired I can't put up pics, but we all probably have similar ones. Something about the difference between boys and men and the price of their toys, as witness what we're all driving now. The '64 Coupe was sold in 66 due to a 12 month sojourn to RVN but while there I ordered a 67 Austin-Healey 3000 out of the PX catalog. Picked it up in Nov 67 in NYC, probably one of the last ones imported. Like a fool, sold it in Tacoma in 72 for a SWB Toyota Landcruiser, would love to any of the four back.
                                                                                                                                     Mike

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 01:05:16 AM »
Joel - Are you sure that is you in those pictures with the Shelby and boat?  Those are handsome YOUNG men in the pictures.   lol

I, too, have enjoyed a wonderful life full of fun and toys.  I am licensed to drive, to fly, and to dive... and have owned a motorcycle, and an LT1, and a PA-22.  I'll wait to see who knows what a PA-22 is.  lol  I have been to Europe with a URail Pass for 3 months in 71, to Hawaii many times, and to Australia twice.  Ain't life a blast?

Tonight is our 5th and last night at the Lewis & Clark RV and Golf Park in Astoria.  Over the weekend there was not a cloud in the sky, a weak East breeze, and it was almost 85 F both days.  We are leaving in the morning... supposed to rain tomorrow.  I don't want to melt... or rust.

Go Beavs... Class of 71... Math... worked in the OSU Computer Center for several years... first as a student, then later on the staff.  Joel, we have probably met... if you had any problems with your programming classes.   lol
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:16:08 AM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

MarcRodstein

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 01:25:50 AM »
I know what a PA-22 is. It was my first airplane, a 1953 Piper Tri-Pacer with 135hp. Now I am 46 years older and on my 11th airplane, but only my 2nd motorhome. I love them both.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:29 AM »
I came across this YouTube video and thought you Chevy Corvette guys would be interested. Enjoy!

Stan

http://www.youtube.com/embed/IL6AiMdX36I?feature=player_embedded
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad