Author Topic: 2000 Patriot 120volt electrical circuits  (Read 16871 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: 2000 Patriot 120volt electrical circuits
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 11:35:16 AM »
Hey all
We ran into this problem some time back.  Here is a tidbit for ya.  of the circuts powered by / through the inverter there are two circuts.  In ours the division is above counter and below counter level so if we lug something in below the vanity sink and something else in by the appliance garge we are usualy fine.  Same two items both on floor outlets blows the inverter breakers.

Just an idea for ya
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

William Brosam

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
been having alot more instances of the inverter breaker tripping, running electric space heaters.

does anyone know how they split the breakers that are on the inverter i always pop the top breaker never the bottom one.

i am using the plugs by the kitchen table on side of refridge (not supposed to be used by inverter) the plugs in the bedroom for cell phone chargers and one heater in the back bedroom.

tv is plugged under the dash in the front of motorhome(wondering if i shouldn't use the tv plug in the cabinet instead)

PC is plugged into the outlet near the desk dealie behind passenger seat.

once you plug in hair dryer in bathroom bam pops the inverter.

Im thinking the Microwave, the TV and satelite plugs in the upper cabinets are on the same leg which is the one im not tripping anyone else care to chime in?

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
When the person who must be obeyed uses her dryer with a heater plugged in, I get the same result. Too much power usage I suppose.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
In my PT I think virtually everything is on one of the two inverter circuits with the exception of a socket by the bed.  The other circuit has the microwave.  If the TV is on the other circuit, I've never noticed, but one of the two outlets in the TV box definitely isn't.

We constantly tripped the circuit with all the lighting and other stuff on it, so when we replaced the Xantrex with a Magnum I located the needed subpanel above the water pump box so I could reach it easily and no longer needed to crawl into the coach to reset it.

Another thing we discovered when installing the Magnum, however, is that all the circuits in the coach appear to have been wired with 12 gauge romex.  The fact that one circuit was 15A and the microwave one was 20A appears to have been more because of the Xantrex configuration rather than indicative of how the coach was wired.  In fact, since we had purchased 15A and 20A breakers to use with the Magnum, we reversed them so the main circuit has the 20A (since 12 gauge wire is fine for that) and the 15A breaker is now on the old microwave circuit, which is the one that we had rerouted to serve the residential fridge.

William Brosam

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 01:33:58 AM »
terrible that we have 50amp service coming in an 20amp breaker running the whole motorhome

Joel Weiss

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 02:46:31 AM »
One thing we did to reduce the load on that one circuit was to extend the washer/dryer circuit into one of the kitchen base cabinets.  Since we can control when we use the washer that essentially gives us another 20A circuit for kitchen appliances and other things.  It's really only the dryer than takes much power and the total load of our new Splendide is only 1300 watts.  Having that extra circuit gives us the extra capacity to have our counter-top toaster oven as well as our induction burner both operating while preparing a meal.  Of course, the microwave has its own circuit, anyway.

William Brosam

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 04:20:06 AM »
extending my washer circuit would be challengine.   It's on the opposite wall of the kitchen, and about 9 ft away, unless you did it under the floor.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:50:32 PM by 14 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 04:31:31 AM »
Sounds like my washer and kitchen are in the same relative positions.  And, yes, it was all done through the basement by a very creative remodeler in Spokane.  I told him what I wanted to do and he did it.  You'd never know it wasn't original.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 04:57:46 AM »
I have done exactly what Joel did and it really works. The only difference is that I cut a small hole thru the sidewall for the AC cord to hook into from the outside so no tape and no window to go through.

Also, since we have removed our washer/dryer (they are on a separate breaker and not run via the inverter) I ran a romex cable under the coach and into a outlet installed into the bathroom and that is were we run our 2nd electric heater.

Have used this setup for many years and it works.

Just some more ideas for you to consider.

Larry
Larry Fritz

William Brosam

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
yea looks like in feb/march ill be heading to Malaysia for a few months so i can have someone work on these ideas while im away.

fix slide leaks, replace slide seals, fix bay door weld, thinking about engineered hardwood floor in the living room, comfort Hot upgrade, reseal drivers side and man door windows, reeal roof man that sounds like 30k worth of work doh!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »
If you have the Comfort Hot installed by someone other than Jim Rixen make sure they install it the way Jim does by tapping into the circuits for the two A/C's.  A couple of months ago I was comparing coaches with someone I met at a CG and he had a Comfort Hot (the first one I had ever seen) but it was installed on the coach's primary lighting circuits and left very little power for anything else when it was on.  It looked like someone had bought the parts from Rixen and figured out his own installation scheme.

William Brosam

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »
this stupid inverter is really starting to get annoying atleast 3 times a week were resetting it, has anyone whos went to the magnum reset theres?

thinking i need a 2800watt inverter and to do some rewiring.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »
I haven't touched my Magnum since it was installed ~6 months ago.  It does its thing and I never have to get involved.  There was a brief power blip at our RV park this morning and the Magnum was online so fast the DirecTV Genie didn't even reboot.  It's worth making the change.  On one of the other RV forums someone posted a place that had a really good price, like in the $1500 range for the MS2800 but I didn't bookmark the site.

William Brosam

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
Joel is this as good as you got it for?

http://www.imarineusa.com/magnumenergyms28122800watt12v100atruesinewaveinvertercharger-1-2.aspx add to cart and its 1404$

which LCD/remote panel did you get? RC-50 or ARC-50?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 07:09:31 PM »
Yup; that's the dealer I was thinking of.  That's a great price.  I bought mine when Amazon was selling them for about that but I had to pay tax even though I got free shipping.   This price is better since the seller won't charge tax except in his home state.  

I bought the cheaper remote panel, the RC-50; I don't have automatic gen start and probably never will.  If I want to add it, I'll probably use the wireless system Cummins/Onan has introduced.