Author Topic: IDS leveling system  (Read 4517 times)

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
IDS leveling system
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »
Talked to Steve the expert on the IDS leveling system who told me that they have a new capability to take the electronics out of the leveler and convert it to a manual system only.  We are having trouble with the jacks staying in the up position while we are on the road.  Pretty disconcerting having the alarm go off while you are going 65 miles and hour down the road. I guess others have had the same issue.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Edward Buker

Re: IDS leveling system
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »
John,

The alarm is disconcerting and I also have experienced it most travel days. I have checked once when it did go off and I had not seen a jack come down enough to interfere with anything suspension wise. Just barely down enough to set off the plunger switch. I think what happens as you drive, is that heat from the day warming, the road, and use of the mechanicals causes the fluid to heat and expand somewhat. Very much like checking transmission fluid hot vs cold. Given this is a limited expansion, I find the reaction to the alarm to be more concerning than the alarm issue at hand. I try and remember that and take my time to hit the right button while staying attentive to the road.

It may be possible to make a preemptive brief tap or two of the manual retract before the alarm sounds. If you have this happen repeatedly during your travel day after everything has come up to temp and you have already retracted due to the fluid expansion then you may have a more serious issue like a leaking valve which should be corrected. If the system was converted to a manual system I would think the alarm portion with the retract switches would want to be kept active even if another alarm buzzer had to be added. This system does not use springs to manually keep the rams retracted by design like the ground based hydraulic systems. What would be nice is a little auto circuit that would provide one second retracts in response to the alarm activation automatically until the alarm is satisfied.

Later Ed