Author Topic: Cat ELC  (Read 12595 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Cat ELC
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
Thanks Gerald, I should have remembered that, and probably would have if I'd gotten around to reading the CAT manual and triggered more consideration about total capacity.

Bill, as Gerald mentions, overheating in a short period is possible with the configuration you describe, but is not necessarily your only concern - be sure your expansion tank fluid level stays above the sensor in its right side, or it will engage your Check Engine lamp and likely the ECM will throw the engine into protective "limp" mode.  If possible, take a route with plenty of known turnouts.  Or resign to somehow doing the job yourself.  Also, if you have Coach-Net or similar, consider the option of a tow to your service facility.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Brown

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 01:41:29 AM »
Joel & Gerald,

Thanks for all the good info.  I do still need to pick up a gal or so of distilled water in order to raise the coolant level above the sensor on the right of the expansion tank.  The system seems to have passed the ideling test.  I only got it up to 135 degs prior to shutting down, though.  I will start looking close for options to drive to tomorrow.   I did find a NAPA close to our location with hose similar to what is currently on the coach, so was able to get a section of that and will use a short length of PVC for the splice.  I am not enthoused about using the PVC but didn't find anything else to make the splice with. Possibily we are closer to getting back on the road.    

Bill

William Brown
06 Monterey, 40' Laguna IV
CAT C-9

Bill Brown

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »
Joel and Gerald,

Thanks again for all your assistance and suggestions.  I did make it to a repair shop in Postfalls, Id, this afternoon with my "jury rigged" coolant system.  Tomorrow hopefully the hose to the expansion tank will be replaced, system flushed, and new ELC coolant added and we'll be back on the road.  Many thanks for the excellant info and reminders of things we probably should all remember, but may have forgetten!

William Brown
06 Monterey, 40' Laguna IV
CAT C-9