Author Topic: Front Brake Caliper Lock Up on 2002 Monterey  (Read 20224 times)

Tom Chace

Re: Front Brake Caliper Lock Up on 2002 Monterey
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
I have reviewed some diagrams of caliper sliders.
Looked at my brake calipers and reviewed the similar types

What I have seems to be slider pins that can be removed without removal of the caliper.

I won't be able to replace the boots on the slider but If I remove the pins - separately - clean and grease each one then carefully replace the pin into it's place - will that be possible?

I won't be able to bleed the brakes here - BUT - if I see it correctly, I won't have to bleed brakes at all.
Are these assumptions correct??

Thank You All
Happy Thanksgiving

Pam & Tom
In the sunshine state (for now)

Gerald Farris

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
Tom,
If your calipers have removable slide pins, you should be able to remove them one at a time without removing the calipers. If that is all that you do to the brakes, you will not need to bleed the brakes. However, there is at least a 50% chance that just lubing the slide pins will not solve your brake lock-up problem. You also need to check the other two items that I mentioned in the previous post.

Gerald

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
Tom,

Lubricating the front pins will help... However, keep in mind what others have said in this thread, you need to address a regular maintenance program that includes flush/refill of brake fluid, condition of brake lines and cleaning/lubricating the front and rear brakes.

If you are having a lock-up problem, you also need to check the condition of rotors/hub bearings/seals and calipers.  These inspections should be done by an experienced heavy duty mechanic.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Tom Chace

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »
Yes to both of you

The situation is:

Just had the brake master cylinder and a few lines replaced by a mechanic

Flushed and replaced with new DOT 3 or 4 (what ever is called for)

Mech said that an annual maint is recommended - Am planning on that when I return.

Just need to get by this one brake situation.

My plan is to pull each of the two slides - one at a time - clean&lube then check.
If that gets me by for now - all good.
If not I am near some mechanics here in St Augustine for the next few weeks.

Any recommendations for the st augustine/ jacksonville area for mechanics???

Thank You both

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »
Tom,

Good luck with removal/clean/re-lube and reinstall of the slide pins.. It may help and it may not. Do you know the required torque value to reinstall?  Do you have a torque wrench that is able to re-torque the pins to that value?  (very important)

From your description of the prior work, flush and refill of the brake fluid may help the most.  Why did they work on your master cylinder and which brake lines did they replace?

The only shop in the Jacksonville area that I know about is Tri-Star Truck....

Karl

Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Tom Chace

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 02:07:43 AM »

Karl

No I don't know the torque needed
Most of my tools are not with me
I would have to estimate the torque from removal- my only choice if I do the work

I am leaning toward a mechanic but need some information on the possibility of a recall , the start of my inquiry. I have called Beaver Motor Coach in OR for any info on that aspect. Beyond any recall work, I will have to make the decision at that time.

Thank You

Pam & Tom