Author Topic: Front Brake Caliper Lock Up on 2002 Monterey  (Read 20075 times)

Bill and Gisela Pollock

Front Brake Caliper Lock Up on 2002 Monterey
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »
Front Brake Caliper Lock Up on 2002 Monterey.  For those with hydraulic disc brakes such as the 2002 Monterey, you might want to read the post at the following site:  http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workhorse-brake-recall-54882.html

We have experienced two lock ups of the Bosch part number 415-3222 calipers which have the same phoenolic pistons as described in the above post.  Our owners manual does not recommend any maintenance of the front brake slides, however it has been recommended to us that we have the wheels removed and the caliper slides lubricated annually.  If you operate in humid areas such as Florida where both of our lock ups occurred, you should consider having your brake fluid renewed frequently as well.  We now have calipers with steel pistons which runs the risk of boiling the brake fluid due to heat but should not lock up like the phoenolic  pistons.  All Workhorse Chassis with these brakes have been recalled by NHTSA.  There was a recall on the 2001 Monterey for this reason.  I was told by Monaco technical that my brakes were not the same as those recalled but I am skeptical of this.

Bill and Gisela Pollock

Re: Front Brake Caliper Lock Up on 2002 Monterey
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »
As it turns out, our 2002 was subject to the recall.  Monaco Elkhart performed the recall in 2004 but did not for some reason replace the calipers.  That left us with the calipers with phoenolic pistons and all the problems described in the web site referenced in our previous post.  Bummer for us.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »
For the people who have hydraulic brakes, the reason that Bill was suggesting that you replace your brake fluid is that if you are in a humid area the brake fluid will absorb moisture (water) from the air over time, and the desolved water will lower the boiling point of the brake fluid and cause brake lock-up or a spongy pedal in hard braking conditions. The moisture in the fluid can also cause corrosion of the brake parts that contact the fluid like the caliper pistons.

How often you change the fluid is a judgement call. Some high performance European cars like Porsche recommend brake fluid changes once a year. I think that is too often for the average RVer, but it is your call. Some sports car dealers have a tester to check the percentage of moisture in brake fluid.

Gerald

Bill and Gisela Pollock

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:59 AM »
Gerald,
Thanks for providing some needed explanation and technical clarity.  We intend to have our front calipers inspected annually and also have the slide lubricated.  It is either that or go back to Arizona where there is less humidity than Florida.

Bill and Gisela Pollock

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 04:29:28 AM »
Have filed the following safety complaint with National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA)  Office of Defects Investigation regarding previously reported front brake caliper lock up.  Previous recall performed by Monaco at Elkhart did not do us much good.  We are wondering if any others have had this same problem with coaches from 1998 to 2002 which did not have air brakes.

safercar.gov homepage      NHTSA homepage
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

Safety Complaint Confirmation

Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10296311
Your Complaint Information

Acknowledgement
An e-mail was sent to
rovingpollocks@hotmail.com

Complaint Information
       Description:      Bosch hydraulic disc Brakes on 2002 Beaver Monterey Motor home subject to NHTSA recall 02V278000. Recall performed by Monaco in October 2004. Subsequently, we have experienced six failures: Thermal events cause by brake lock up. Two fires. This appears to be the same problem now being remedied by NHTSA recall 09V110000. It is the same Bosch brakes on Workhorse Chassis manufactured by Navistar (who now owns Monaco RV, LLC). They appear to being recalled for the same reason...overheating due to lock up caused by phenolic caliper piston absorbing moisture and sticking. According to info available original recall remedy did not require replacement of calipers; new recall appears to require that. Old recall should have based on our experience. Recommend recalling all Monaco RVs originally recalled by 02v278000 for replacement of components not replaced originally. It is noted that some of the Monaco products recalled in 2004 were on Workhorse Chassis. How many other RV chassis use the same Westport axles and/or Bosch disc brake calipers? If they merit recall on one RV chassis they most likely merit recall on all. After our most recent lock up and fire we were able to locate Bosch Caliper part number 415-3222 with steel vice phenolic pistons. We hope that we have fixed the problem; this after two fires and $5000+ in repairs.
       Approximate Incident Date:      11/24/2009
Your responses to the questions regarding the incident:
       Deaths/Injuries:      No      Property Damage:      Yes
                     Crash:      No
       Fire:      Yes      Police Report:      No
Vehicle Information
       VIN:      1RFB5456423017795
       Year, Make, Model:      2002, BEAVER COACH, MONTEREY
       Failure Mileage:      89302
       Speed:      45
  Vehicle Component Information
       Component 1:      SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Consumer Information
       Name:      william Pollock
       Daytime Phone:      540 272 0601    Ext:  
       Evening Phone:      540 272 0601
       E-mail:      rovingpollocks@hotmail.com
       Fax:      
       Address:      253 Rainbow Drive
       City, State, Zip:      LIVINGSTON, TX 77399
       Referral Source:      Hotline Exhibit

Les Brandt

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
I had a caliper lock up on my 01 Beaver Patriot this summer. Who can I contact to see if the recall was ever performed?

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »
Bill,

This problem is very common with this era braking system.  Yes, the problem reoccurs often...  Solution is annual maintenance for the calipers/slides and regular flush/renew of brake fluid.  IMHO, it was not all due to the type of Bosch brakes, but poor design originally.

Good luck,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Paul Bowers

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
I have had two lock-up and one small fire on my 2001 Beaver Monterey.  I replaced two calipers and two disc due to this issue.  I also, did not know there was a recall.

Les Brandt

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »
Just reviving my request.

Does anyone know where I can check to see if the brake recall was done on my coach?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 02:40:54 AM »
Les,
I would contact BCS (Beaver Coach Sales) Service Department. They will probably either be able to determine if the recall was preformed or know how to find out, if anyone can.

Gerald

Les Brandt

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 02:49:32 AM »
Thanks Gerald.

Tom Chace

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Hi everybody,

I logged on due to having this very problem.

My drivers side front brake caliper is intermittently locking.
The coach is a 1999 Beaver Monterey with hydraulic disk brakes.

I am scheduled to have a mechanic at Camping World in Florida check them after a highway mobile repair.
The caliper loosened up and I was able to drive to my destination.

I believe the slider needs to be maintained. Problem is I have not done one yet.

If anyone is available to give me some tips - They would be much appreciated.

Posting from the sunshine state parks

Pam & Tom

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
Tom,
There are three different problems that cause about 99% of the problems with sticking brake calipers on hydraulic brakes, and all three possibilities should be checked if you are having the problem.

First, and most common is slide resistance. Slide resistance can be caused from corrosion, bent or damaged mounts, worn mounts, or just a lack of cleaning and lubrication, especially if the coach is used on salted roads. All of these conditions should be checked when servicing the brakes.

The next most common problem is from a corroded or seized piston (pistons) in the caliper. If there is excess pressure needed to move the caliper piston, you need to either overhaul or replace the caliper.

The last reason for caliper lock-up is a faulty hydraulic brake hose. The inner rubber lining of the hose can come loose and act like a check valve to hold pressure in the caliper. This is usually an expensive repair because it is so commonly overlooked, and everything else in the brake system that was not needed is replaced first. Hydraulic hose failures become more common as they age beyond ten years, and since your coach is looking at 16 years, check those hoses carefully.

Gerald   

Grant Ralston

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »
Does anyone have a source for high-performance brakes hoses in the extra long lengths we have on the hydraulic brake Beavers?  The front hoses must be 60 inches long each because of the geometry of the suspension.  I wanted the shop to replace mine last Spring, but they claimed they couldn't locate a source of hoses. 

Grant

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
Most cities of moderate size have a shop that can manufacture hydraulic lines.  You will need to know the attributes of the line you want to replace, i.e., length, fittings, psi requirements, environmental operating conditions, etc.  I had a 15 inch hydraulic line manufactured in a shop in Buckley, WA... and Buckley ain't too big.  I will add that they ain't cheap either.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!