Author Topic: Strange ice maker incident.  (Read 6170 times)

Adam Hicklin

Strange ice maker incident.
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
After a Memorial Day trip, we cleaned out the fridge and parked the coach.  Left the fridge doors ajar to air out, shut everything down.  Finally got around to plugging in the coach on Friday.  Sunday night, my son tells me that there is water dripping from the coach (which he heard with his dog-like hearing from his bedroom, adjacent to the parking pad.  Oh to have young ears!) Sure enough there is water dripping from some drain tube, just forward of the right rear tire.  Scratching my head, I turn to go inside the coach and as I pass the exterior fridge vent, I hear a slight hum, which makes we start to wonder if I did, in fact, turn off the fridge.  Get inside, open the freezer and low and behold the ice maker is caked in ice and the ice bucket is full of water and quickly melting ice cubes.  Apparently I had turned the fridge off, but did not turn the ice maker off.  This is what I learned: the ice maker apparently has its own cooling unit which will continue to work with the fridge off, provided it has AC current.  Who knew?  The one thing I can't figure out is where it was getting the water?  The pump was off and there is no city water connection.  And I'm not talking just a little water and a couple melting cubes.  The tray was full.  The bucket was full of water and ice, and the overflowing water was dripping out the overflow drain.  Mystery, or simple explanation?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Strange ice maker incident.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:43:47 AM »
The ice-maker side is on a separate circuit and outlet than the fridge, though the outlets may be proximal behind the outside access door.  The water was probably already in there and someone just forgot to dump the cubes when cleaning out the fridge.  With the door open the cubes began melting, but moist air entering the freezer froze upon striking the colder surfaces, coating them in ice.

On our unit, turning off the fridge turns off the ice maker by default, so not all work quite the same.  Just being in the freezer freezes cubes, and there is no separate cooling unit that I know of;  the separate circuit is only for driving the ice-maker's cycling mechanism.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:56:43 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
Well, I did solve the water issue.  The pump was on, but the light was out, so that's how it was getting water.  But the refrigerator was off with the doors open and the coach unplugged for a week before it was plugged back in, re-activating the ice maker which is switched separately.  There is no doubt the ice maker was making ice, without the refrigerator being on.  There must be some type of secondary cooling function exclusive to the ice maker.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
My fridge switches between 120 vac and propane, with the default being 120 vac when available.  Unless I switch the fridge off using the on/off pad on the front of the fridge, then it's on and running... assuming the propane tank isn't empty.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:12:20 AM »
Adam, I'd go to the manufacturer's website and try to get a pdf copy of your model's installation and owner's manuals.  I can't say I'm aware of any with seperate ice-maker cooling units;  that isn't to say they don't exist, cause I'm certainly no expert.

Generally, the ice-maker mechanicals and the fridge non-propane heater are AC on seperate circuits.  Just about verything else from LED panels to controlled switching to thermostats to cooling fans to propane ignition to defrost function (I think) is 12 volt DC circuitry.  Flipping the bail up on the icemaker may be your only deactivation switch, I dunno.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 03:11:59 AM »
Adam,
The only ice maker in a Beaver that has a refrigeration unit for the icemaker tray assembly is the U-Line stand-alone units.

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:02:19 AM »
Upon further investigation...this is a Dometic NDR 1282.  This unit has a separate COMPRESSOR for additional cooling of the ice maker, activated by the switch at the bottom of the freezer compartment.  Best I can tell, this compressor is a standard 120V compressor filled with 134a refrigerant (as noted on the ID tag) and is separate from the absorption unit. Hence, when I turned off the fridge and didn't turn off the ice maker switch, it continued to make ice when I plugged the coach in to 120V.  This makes sense now because when the ice maker was on, I always heard a fan running in the fridge compartment.  Live and learn.  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:53:37 PM by 13967 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
I have the same refrigerator and it is a seperate 120 volt compressor. One tip I learned from a refrigeration person is if the fam shaft is through a sleeve bearing and a bit of 0 viscosity oil once a year or so is a good idea. I use a hypdermic to apply.

If you go to Radio Shack they sell it with an applicator for $$ or you can go to a petroleum dealer that sells it in 55 gallon barrels with a container and they may give it to you or charge a $. I got a pint 7 years ago and use it on the shaft and some older Hunter fans in the house and have probably used a couple of ounces to date.