Author Topic: Awning Adjustment  (Read 8237 times)

Adam Hicklin

Awning Adjustment
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »
My Girard awning (exact model unknown) was not fully closing. Consulted the website and identified the limit adjustment screws.  Attempted to adjust the retract screw with the net effect of making it worse.  Now short of closing about 3/4 of an inch.  Thought I would throw it out to you folks before I call Girard tomorrow.  Also, I had the coach washed and waxed today so rain is assured in Southern California tomorrow.  Sorry.  

Gerald Farris

Re: Awning Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Adam,
I have always been able to correct the problem that you described by adjusting the limit switch. Are you sure that you were on the right limit switch and turning it the right direction? If so, a call to Girard is needed.

Sometimes the awning fabric will stretch and the awning will close on the end both not totally close in the center. or the problem can be reversed were it is tight in the center and loose on the ends. In this case, you need to build the roller tube up a little in the loose area with several layers of something like duct tape to make it close evenly.

Gerald

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:31 AM »
Ok my G2000 is also only closing on the side by the front door the other end is out by an Inch how do you correct that? Where is the limit switch to adjust it as the awning material is tight when fully extended? Also is it safe to drive it with only one end closed?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »
Paul,
What year and model coach do you have?

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »
He's got an '06 Patriot Thunder, Gerald.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »
Adam I also have an 06 Thunder, I had the same issue with the rear(bed room) unit that was not fully closing. While at the Indio(FMCA) rally I had the unit adjusted by a tech. I did watch him doing the very slight adjustment and he told me that the units are very sensitive and adjustment should be in 1/8 unit turns.
So if you do adjust yours keep the adjustments very small
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »
Hi Gerald

06 Thunder Saratoga  Thanks
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 12:41:03 AM »
Paul,
If only one section of the awning is not retracting, you may need to build-up the roller tube with something like duct tape to enlarge the roller in that area to compensate for stretched fabric . You may also need to adjust the limit switches that are located on the end of the awning towards the front of the coach. If you call Girard, they can walk you through the process.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:35:14 AM by 14 »

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »
Hi Gerald

The fabric does not looked stretched but I will contact Girard just in case thanks for your help

Regards

Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:39:20 AM »
Also is it safe to drive like this hopefully the awning won't pop open as that would be a real problem....
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:24:14 AM »
The awning will not "pop open" when you are driving. However, if the awning has too much movement on one end, it could theoretically move enough to damage the paint in the local area, but only you can determine that since you are there looking at it.

Gerald  

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »
Thanks Jerry. I've been messing with it and it seems that nothing I do makes a difference.  Slight turns, large turns, same thing...no adjustment.  I read or heard that Girard will adjust free of charge if I can get it to San Clemente, which is about an hour away. Obviously ism doing something wrong.