Author Topic: Travel sim cards  (Read 5716 times)

Jeff Watt

Travel sim cards
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
I know the topic of cell phone coverage has been coved before, but I want to throw out a question - more  to other Canadian members - what if any data(phone)service is being used. I have never used the 3G part of my iPad in the US. So far when I have been travelling I have used my Rogers phone plan for calls only - no text or data as it is ridiculously expensive. So looking at swapping out the sim card and putting in one from a US carrier.

I am looking for suggestions for the following applications:

An iPad
A wifi ranger,
An iPhone 4

I can unlock my iPhone and my iPad is unlocked so I can purchase a sim card from one of the US companies. Some have pay as you go, others are x minutes or data/$.

Thanks

Jeff

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Re: Travel sim cards
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:53 AM »
Jeff I don't have swapping out SIM card experience. For data I have been very happy for the past four years using a Verizon MiFi card at 3G soon to be upgraded to 4G. ($10/Gig, suspend service when back north of the 49th). With this data plan I've used both Skype and FaceTime on the iPad.
 I found Rogers roaming service dismal in the SW unless near larger cities.
Just today it was announced that Verizon has been approved to buy two small Canadian companies and provide a significant competition to the Canadian big three. Hopefully Verizon will consider some type of international service to make roaming charges somewhat more reasonable.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »
I tried to swap out the sim card in my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.  In BC, when buying the phone and a 3 yr Telus plan I was told it could be done.  In Palm Desert, the T Mobile store that tried it determined that it couldn't be done.  In 2 more yrs, I will try something else.  For now I am using a Magic Jack (tied to my laptop) for phone and a Time Warner internet service while in the US and just keep paying and paying for the unused Telus plan while i am south.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »
Keith,

I am thinking of getting a US based carrier sim card when in the US as my Roger$ contract is near completion, and for only $40 I can have My iPhone unlocked from the Roger$ network.

I may try this fall when we venture to Oregon for the rally. My iPad is theoretically unlocked as I bought through the apple store, so I should be able to put a sim card from any carrier into it. I don't want to have to pay for the months when I am not in the US, so a monthly plan or a fixed data amount plan.

Bob,

Also looked at mifi plans, which would also work. Do you have a mifi unit (multiple devices can use it) or a card that is dedicated to one device? Supposedly the wifi rqnger is designed to let me plug a card/stick into it and then it is a router using the card's data.

Jeff

Keith Cooper

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »
the issue may be compatible spectrum with Rogers or it is possible T-Mobile is using SIM lock technology. Suggest you look at SIM's from AT&T , AIO or the MVNO's running on AT&T's network (TracPhone, StraightTalk, etc.). AT&T uses Rogers as a roaming partner in Canada.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »
Jeff,
Yes, mine is the Verizon MiFi 2200 which can handle up to five connections however it is several years old and is only 3G capable. Verizon now offers at least five MiFi  'Jetpack' models which can handle ten devices at 4G LTE speeds. No doubt with higher speed I'll have to increase my 3 Gig data plan.   :)
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9