Author Topic: Norcold refrig No Display  (Read 5238 times)

John Jahr

Norcold refrig No Display
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:50:15 PM »
I have a 2005 Monterey with a Norcold Mod#120X-IMXX With ice maker.  We are starting a month long trip today. I started the refrig yesterday and everything was nice and cold this morning when we left. Somewhere  along the way it shut off.
I have checked the receptacles for both the refrig and ice,maker and they are ok.

Just no power to the control panel. Is there a fuse or reset along the way that I can't see.

Any help would be appreciated

John  

Gerald Farris

Re: Norcold refrig No Display
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:33 AM »
John,
It sounds like you lost the 12V power supply to the refrigerator control module, or the module failed. The salesman switch at the front door is famous for cutting off the 12V power supply.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
John-

In the electrical cabinet in the toilet room of our coach, an '06 Monterey, along with the breaker boxes and multiplex fuses is a 4" square black 12v. fuse box.  Pull hard on the tab at its bottom and the cover will come off revealing a couple rows of fuses.  On ours is a refrigerator panel fuse, 10 amp, in position #2.  If it's blown, fine you can replace it, but you have to wonder why it blew.

Many Norcolds were in recalls the past few years, and some that were recalled had to be recalled again to fix the fix.  Some involved an over temperature module failure.  Ours is a Dometic, so I can't speak to the exact issues or Norcold models involved, but you might want to check into it if you haven't already.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »
It's probably the thermal control unit that was added after the recall. Ours has shut off 3 times. The fix has a history of failure. You can simply bypass the thermal sensor. The 12 volt line of thermal sensor can be plugged in directly into the refrigerator. The call Norcold for the nearest service. We installed a fire suppression system because of this models fire history.  Also make sure the cooling fans near the flue are working. We had to replace ours.  
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

John Jahr

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
Thank you all for the the replies. I talked to a local RV Dealer here  and he said that because I have a solid red light in the rear panel that it is the thermo cupling, l believe that's what he called it,was out of adjustment and if wasn't that the refrig is dead. So they will be taking a look at it in the morning. I will let you all know how I make out.

John Jahr

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
 The Refig is working. They needed to reset it with a magnet. What caused it to shut down,  they do not know.

They said if it happens again we could try and have it reset, but it would most likely be dead for good.

Thank you all for your help. Hope this wiil help someone down the road.

PS                  they only charged me 1/2 hour labor. Larry's RV Jackson, MI. Very Satisfied.

John Jahr