Author Topic: Slides out before leveling  (Read 11117 times)

John Jahr

Slides out before leveling
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
Why do you need to run your slides out before leveling?  If I'm parked on almost level ground does it hurt to  run the slides in and out?

Thank for any input that will help me sort this through my simple brain.

John

George H. Wall

Re: Slides out before leveling
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
This has been discussed on several previous threads, with several different throughts. Most all say by your specific coach's instructions.  Henry

John Jahr

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »
Yes, I understand the per coach instructions . My question was asked to maybe understand the reason behind these instructions

I parked my coach for storage for a few weeks  So I just wanted to level it to keep the Aqua Hot on and the refrigerator on during freezing nights. Didn't want to open the slides while in storage. Now I want to open the bedroom slide to load the closet to leave for Florida in a few days. According to instructions I need to bring it to ride height let out the slide and re level. So to do that I need to start the coach, then according to the next rule I need to take it out and drive it for a couple of miles to get it warmed up before I can shut it off.

A lot to do just to put out a bedroom slide.  

John    

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
John,
The reason that you are told to extend and retract the slides only when the coach is at ride height is to prevent operating the slides when the coach is stressed by the leveling system. The stress can cause the openings that the slides operate in to change shape enough to bind the slide and even cause damage. This is most important when the coach is on very unlevel ground. If you are parked on a hard surface that is fairly level, it will be OK to operate the bedroom slide while you are still leveled (either air or jacks).

Gerald

John Jahr

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 01:07:32 AM »
Gerald thank you for the explanation. I thought it should be ok in this situation.

And thank you for all the help you give to us on this site.

John

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:51:24 AM »
John-

My coach is parked very slightly off level on its home pad, no onboard leveling attempted and air dumped straight down from Travel Mode, and we move slides out and in often, when showing the rig to visitors, working inside, or retrieving something from the wardrobe area.  Gerald aptly explained why I've done that for years with no harm.  

Where you might run into problems is if you park leaving it at Travel Height.  Air commonly slowly leaks from one bag or another over time, causing a corner to sag, and putting in the body twist that can befoul slide/body opening alignment as Gerald describes, or crack a windshield even on level ground.  That's one reason I now dump fully straight down from Travel Height when storing.  There's no air left to leak and no risk of corner sag and twist.

But one additional reason for the "slides out first and in last" principle Monaco and I recommend is that once the slides are out the leveling system can sense the true final weight distribution as parked;  this is especially true in circumstances where you don't put out all your slides or don't exactly have a perfectly counterbalancing opposing slide configuration on your coach.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:03:59 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Mathis

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
I can attest that it can make a difference. We were in Anchorage this summer in Ship Creek campground for one night to make some repairs to the aquahot. The spcae was so unlevel that we had to move back and forth several times and eventually turn around before we could level. When we got ready to leave, my wife decided to pull the slides in while was taking out the trash, and before I had put it in travel mode. The living room slide got so crooked that it bound and actaly bent some of the trim. Luckily, no real damage was done. We nkw have a new rule. :X

Matthew Harger

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
I'm very curious about this issue as I have been having a lot of problems with my windshields popping from the gaskets. I recently had both windshields and gasket replaced by an RV Glass Solutions local installer who appears to have not installed them correctly as both windshields popped out on both top corners. Anyways, long story short RV Glass Solutions was wonderful to go through and they had the local guy reinstall and this time use all the proper glue and sealants that they did not feel were necessary in the first place.
Anyways, to my question.  Since it would seem I do potentially have windshield issues with my older coach, what is the best possible way or order to set up and pack up from a trip regarding air dump, leveling jacks, slide out etc.  We are extremely new to motorhomes and have just been following what's said in the manual but upon reading this thread I'm not so sure that's the proper sequence given my windshield problems and I'm wondering if I've been causing undue stress on the windshields with what I've been doing.
I would love someone to tell me the sequence or order of operations I should probably be following.
Thanks

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »
I believe the recommended procedure for SMC coaches was also slides out before leveling.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »
Matthew:

Ours is a 98 contessa, so I think we have the same windshield/gasket/front cap.  We have now owned this coach 2 1/2 years.  Until this fall, I ddin't notice any movement of the windshield.  I parked the coach for 7 months on a relatively level slab behind the house.  After parking it, I cleaned and inspected the whole coach, including the windshield.  I put out the slide and leveled with the jacks.  There it sat until I was getting ready to head south for the winter.  I noticed that there was now a gap at the upper outer corner of the driver's windshield.  The gap was about 3 to 4 inches long, around the corner, and up to 1/4" wide.  I caulked it with Lexel and watched it.  Half way south it was still there, but somewhat narrower.  Now that we have been parked for a while, the gap is gone, but there is still a 1/8" of white paint showing, that used to be covered by the black gasket.

My conclusion - don't panic.  these coaches are in motion, whether from temperature changes, humidity changes, driving, levelling stresses, or whatever.  If it never moves back to its original position, you may have something to fix, otherwise, it isn't that serious.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 02:27:58 AM »
When parking and while in travel mode, put slides out before leveling, and when getting ready to leave, put it in travel mode before bring slides in.  Thus the saying slides out first and in last.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Matthew Harger

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 04:55:28 AM »
Thank you very much.....how about the air dump?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »
Matt,
 There are several variables that can effect how to operate the leveling system, air dump, and slides. Do you have air leveling, hydraulic jacks, or both? If you have only hydraulic jacks, are they manual or automatic (computerized)?

If you would like to discuss your particular coach's configuration, please call me (713-254-4156) at your convenience, and I will help you as much as I can.

Gerald