Author Topic: New Inverter  (Read 3966 times)

Dennis Crawford

New Inverter
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:38 PM »
To all:
I am the proud owner of a new Magnum Inverter, Genstart and control panel.  I installed this myself with help from John Palmer.  www.palmerenergysystems.com.  John is great.  If you are ever in Northeast Florida (Mayo) check with John.  My Xantrex bit the dust and I was told by Xantrex that it could not be repaired.  So I am done with the trash.  The installation was not easy, but not all that complicated.  The biggest issue is the different cables and Magnum does not allow daisy chaining.

I do have a question.  While installing this unit I had the occasion to turn off the two battery switches on my 2005 Monterey.  What do these things do?  I can't see that they turn off anything.  Sure would appreciate any input on this.

Dennisw

Edward Buker

Re: New Inverter
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:34:05 AM »
Dennis,

One of the battery switches should be labeled house and one chassis. The chassis one will turn off the power to the driving console and starter circuits. It uses the two starting batteries, usually group 39 12V. The house one feeds the 12V items within the coach like the frig, overhead lights, overhead fans etc. That is fed by the four or six 6V series parallel golf cart batteries.  You could test this with each battery switch.

Later Ed

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
Ed,

Thanks, however neither switch seems to perform the functions that one would expect.  I still have power to the front power busses even with the switches off.  I also have a switch up front by the steps that islabeled Coach Power. This switch still has power with the coach battery switch in the off position.  Looks like someone forgot to include these switches in the system.

Dennis

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
You may want to look at the back of those switches near the battery compartment and see if someone disabled them by moving both wire lugs, one from the battery bank and one out to distribution, onto one of the bolts on the battery switch. With both switches off very little 12V power should be distributed. If you had an electrical issue with something getting hot you would want to be able to quickly cut main power. You did not mention the year and model of the coach. If you post that someone who has a similar coach could comment on how theirs functions

Later Ed

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »
Ed,
I will check it out.  Also, I think I did post year and model in first message.  In any evernt it is a. 2005 Montery.