Author Topic: Finally fixed my Aqua Hot  (Read 6240 times)

John Padmore

Finally fixed my Aqua Hot
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
When I bought my coach the hot water was just a trickle, measured at 1 pint per minute at the faucet. Pretty pathetic. After talking with Orman he suggested that I pump vinegar into the system and to use compressed air after flushing. I cut the water lines (in and out of the Aqua Hot)and attached hoses and a pump to add the vinegar. I pumped vinegar into the system for days trying to get the residue to break free. Used 50 psi compressed air to try and free things up with no luck. Went on vacation for 2 weeks and had the system full of vinegar. Still clogged after my return. I was ready to buy a replacement hot water heater. With nothing to lose I blew out the system using 100 psi compressed air. All of a sudden there was a blast of air and sand and the thing broke free. What came out was fully 2 cups of what looks exactly like beach sand. You can see the water that came out in the photo. Now the hot water is running normally. Here is a picture of the setup I used and the material that came out. I was very lucky.

Edward Buker

Re: Finally fixed my Aqua Hot
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
John,

Quite a story. I guess the coils will have sediment settle in the bottom and eventually have it solidify. Good reason to run a sediment filter on the coach input. I think you are the only one that I have heard of having this issue. Any insight where the sand came from, like a known bad water supply? The fact that it all looked the same leads one to believe that some place where you stayed may have had that issue.

Later Ed

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »
Ed, I can't explain where or how the sand got into the system since it was like that when I bought it. I asked the PO about the water situation and he just said he always used the facilities wherever he was camping. I have a water filter on the line at the beginning of the hose connection. I believe it is not actually beach sand (although it sure looks like it!) but calcium and rust build up over years. If I was still working I would just send it to our lab for analysis but it is better to be retired 8)......thanks.

John

Orman Claxton

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »
Hi Guys,
Let jump in here,
I have ran into this before, It is calcium  build up. Some of the water we use is really bad
A lot of people never  use a filter, especially week-enders.
Sediment settles in the bottom of the coils most times, build up and slowly plug coils,also cause Tempering valves to seize. ( another reason to exercize your tempering valve,) (John I am supprise your valve is still working)
 I have found sediment plugging the manifold systems ( I have the Manifold system for display)

John Padmore

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
Orman, first of all please let me publically thank you for all of your help and support on this project. I couldn't have done it without your help, and I appreciate your kindness and understanding during your time of troubles. Secondly, the first thing I did was replace the mixing valve (as per your recommendation) as it would not move. It now works trouble free.  8)

John

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
Orman and John,

Thanks for sharing this information. I do not normally bother setting up a filter but I will probably look differently at that issue from here on out especially in the southwest. That is quite a pile of sediment.....must have been quite a surprise clearing the pipe with the momentum of 100psi behind it... some days we have just too much fun.

Later Ed

John Padmore

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »
Glad I was able to contribute something positive to the group, instead of asking all of the usual newbie questions!  8)

John

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
As Ed alludes to, I'm just glad you were the one having the fun, John, and not me  ;D .  Thanks for helping uphold my decision to use a simple filter at my city entry most of the time.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat