Author Topic: Carefree Awning Wind  (Read 3352 times)

Dennis Crawford

Carefree Awning Wind
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »
I have a Carefree of Colorado main patio awning with a wind speed sensor.  The sensor seems to spinning properly, but the awning is retracting with just a slight breeze.  The switch on the interior has three positions for wind speed, low, medium and high.  Even on high the awning retracts with not much breeze.  Can this be calibrated in some way.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Carefree Awning Wind
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:43:10 AM »
Our Carefree Eclipse awning cannot be calibrated, at least not by the manuals I have.  The control box I believe is behind the entry door overhead panel on which the awning rocker switches, among other things, is mounted.  I've seen a control box for a Girard that is almost identical, but it had a screw that could be used to adjust sensitivity, albeit against Girard's advice and warranty.

It can be aggravating sometimes when a seemingly innocuous "gust" on a relatively calm day repeatedly yanks the awning in, allowing hot sun where you don't want it.  Shutting off the sensor is the only alternative, but you have to be sure a strong blow won't surprise you.  One got me about 20 years back.  The wind around lakes and open country in the West can be unpredictable.  That awning ripped from its leg fasteners on the coach's side and went over the roof, while I looked on stupidly from my perch with a barely sipped beer on the couch.  The arms luckily didn't puncture or hit anything enroute.  Be glad you have a sensor at all.  That was nearly as bad as last summer when the Eclipse motor drive shaft slipped on the roller tube end sleeve, allowing the awning to roll out on the Trans Canada in the Rockies.  'Nother grand Carefree story.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat