Author Topic: Route Recommendation  (Read 19550 times)

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
Route Recommendation
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »
Between the up-coming BAC Rallies in McMinville and 7 Feathers Oregon, Vicki and I plan to sidle over to the coast and stay at Winchester Bay for a couple of days.
We would like your inputs regarding our proposed routes.

To get to the coast, we would leave McMinnville to get back on I-5 via 99W and Hwy 22 into Salem, then down I-5 to Eugene, picking up Hwy 126 out of Eugene to Florence, thence to Winchester Bay. Any better route that anyone knows of?

Similarly, coming back from Winchester Bay to 7 Feathers, are Hwys 38 and 138 into Sutherlin OK for a 37ft DP?

Thanks
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Route Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:02:23 PM »
Andy-

It's been awhile since we've traveled 38, and it was heading west out of Drain, but I don't recall it being a problem in our 37' Beaver and toad.  Any of the state highways that pass through the Coast Range are decent, but be aware they almost all do a lot of curves in those sections that follow rivers to the sea.  That's just something we have to accept if we want to get to the ocean.  I always take the yellow curve-ahead speed signs to heart when in the coach, as the suggested speed is just about right for comfortable turn negotiation.  Unfortunately, everyone behind you in a car will wish you weren't in front of them because they all negotiate curves 15 mph faster than the sign suggests, but that's just tough.  The wife gets mad cuz I constantly look for pulloffs big enough where I can let the Speedy Gonzales' go by, but they make me nervous and I'd rather one of the idiots not try passing on a blind curve where I might not have maneuverability and I can see oncoming traffic they can't.

I might suggest just staying on 99W south out of McMinnville, and shun the freeway for a more leisurely drive through the Willamette Valley farm country all the way to Junction City.  I don't remember specifics of driving on 36 to Mapleton in a coach, but I think we did some years ago.  126 out of Eugene is a much-used route and we've trekked it many times, no problem, but as I said, Coast Range river sections almost all do at least a few miles of winding.

As Pacific Pride members, we've refueled at their easy-access Reedsport facility many times, and it's handy to the Florence area dunes and lakes and Winchester Bay's great RV park and locale.  Wish we were going too, as we enjoy the towns, the Dunes, and the lakes, Tenmile, Tahkenitch, and Siltcoos.  Osprey Resort at Lakeside is a nice RV park.  We almost bought property on Tenmile once, and now wish we had.

Another option is of course west out of McMinnville on 18 straight to the coast.  101 is certainly more scenic than I-5!  The tourists let up a bit after Labor Day since the kids mostly have to be back in school a day or two after.  Before then, and on Indian Summer weekends, it can be hairy getting into a park.  The Oregon Coast State Parks with camping are very nice and affordable, but get in early or make reservations.  Lee and I especially enjoy the Coast (or anywhere) in the Fall.  

For those going to BAC(k), I heartily recommend trying to get over to Gold Beach on the southern Oregon coast after the rally, and getting some seats aboard one of Jerry's jet boats.  We stay at the RV park next to the beach and airport and they shuttle us the short trip to the dock in the morning, or you could walk easy enough, or drive the toad.  There are other jet boat (originally mail boat) companies and RV park options as you prefer, but we haven't tried them.  I've done Jerry's several times, including when I was a kid in the '50's.  It's even more fun nowdays, with bigger boats and a huge bank of engines to propel them.  It is great fun.  You pass fisherman after salmon, and may see some caught (we saw several), and there are deer, bear, bald eagles, and other wildlife aplenty.  On the way upstream out of tidewater the captain stops midriver just downstream of a bridge and their photographer takes photos of everyone in the boat.  You can purchase copies in their store across the parking lot when you get back from your sojourn.  The photo of the two of us in 2007 hangs on a wall in our Beaver.

There are jet boat companies operating upstream on the Rogue out of Grants Pass, but we've never used them, the water is lower there in the fall, and Gold Beach to me offers more to see and do.

There are options as to how far upstream you want to go, albeit limited by time of year and water flow in the Rogue River, and a couple of choices to eat lunch at Agness;  we prefer the country-home style meal at the old homestead on the north side of the river.  In the past, a day or two after the boat trip, we'd take the coach upriver along the south road to the RV park on the bluff overlooking the Rogue and the mouth of the Illinois River, and stay a day or two there.  In our old Pace Arrow, we once found a primitive park along that road where we actually drove out on the rocky beach and camped a few feet from the Rogue, all by ourselves.  I doubt our Beaver could maneuver through the trees and rough road and cobble rock like the gas coach did... bummer.

The jet boats might be a fun option for a Camping Circle following the BAC(k)   ;) , and if we get such a CC note from Bill S., don't be surprised if Lee and I don't shake out the coach's cobwebs and come on down!  We hoped on getting Monty Rae on the road once this year at least, with Fall our best choice.

Sorry Andy;  I get carried away.  This is probably TMI (too much information).  You ask a question on the Forum, and sometimes there is either no answer at all, or some dope rambles on forever  ;D

Joel
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:13:39 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
Andy,
I would just take 22 West to Lincoln City then go down the coast to Winchester Bay.  I think it is probably shorter and it is a beautiful coastal ride.  The road from Lincoln City to Newport is a little rough, but very drivable at the speed limit.  There are great places to eat also, but not many spaces for a coach and a towed.  Enjoy your trip.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:25:18 AM »
Thanks, Joel and Roy. Joel, don't worry about getting "carried away". That's when the info flows, and thanks for that. Sounds like 99W connecting to 99 in Eugene and then 126 out to Florence might be a nice drive. We'll look seriously at that.                                

Roy we took 22/18 out of Salem last month on our way to Newport and thought we'd not repeat the same section of road from Lincoln City to Newport for no other reason than we saw it a couple weeks ago.

FYI, I had previously been cautioned by the locals in Newport to avoid Hwy 20 from Newprt to Corvallis- it's known as the suicide highway. Looks like it too, on the map, plus there's lots of construction. They say they hear the sirens going E on 20 almost every day.

BTW, as a sort of "give-back", should you be travelling south on 101 through Depot Bay, as you enter town from the north, just before a prominent real estate office, there is a section of wide paved shoulder on the right. If you can pull off there, you will find yourself alongside the cutest city park that sits right on the water. We were the only ones there (a 36 + toad and a 37+ toad) in July and were able to let the dogs off their leashes and have a private picnic all about a 3 minute walk to the shops in town. Shhhh, keep it secret!!! <G>

Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
......... The jet boats might be a fun option for a Camping Circle following the BAC(k)   ;) , and if we get such a CC note from Bill S......

Joel
Joel,

The idea for "Camping Circles" is for ANY member to initiate the camping trip.  It would never work well if only one person sets them up.

The idea is for you or anyone else to send an email to "region1campingcircle@beaveramb.org" that says something like:

"Let's go camping at Winchester Bay. (http://www.winchesterbayrvresort.com/  I will be there the weekend after 7 Feathers.  Make a reservation by calling 541-271-0287."

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »
Andy,

I travel this area quite a bit on my way to the Oregon dunes, the fastest way to get there is to stay on I5 down to Cottage Grove, and take 99 to 38 directly to Reedsport, highway 38 is quite a bit nicer than 126, but if time is not an issue, the coast is the only way to fly, love that chunk of road in the summer. At any rate if you end up going through Florence, do yourself a service and head down to old town, on Bay Street there is a little place called the Waterfront Depot, go there for dinner and order their signature dish: crab encrusted halibut, I live in Victoria BC where we have hundreds of great restaurants, but the Depot is my favorite by far. be sure to try it , you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »
Quote from: Dave Cunningham
Andy,

I travel this area quite a bit on my way to the Oregon dunes, the fastest way to get there is to stay on I5 down to Cottage Grove, and take 99 to 38 directly to Reedsport, highway 38 is quite a bit nicer than 126, but if time is not an issue, the coast is the only way to fly, love that chunk of road in the summer. At any rate if you end up going through Florence, do yourself a service and head down to old town, on Bay Street there is a little place called the Waterfront Depot, go there for dinner and order their signature dish: crab encrusted halibut, I live in Victoria BC where we have hundreds of great restaurants, but the Depot is my favorite by far. be sure to try it , you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Thanks for the tips, Dave. I do love halibut, and with crab, well......'nuff said.

If we end up taking 38 direct to Reedsport, Florence looks like an easy toad drive from Winchester Bay.

Andy

Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:31:18 AM »
Came home from Winchester Bay on 38 yesterday and it is a beautiful drive.  Lots of passing lanes and it follows the river most of the route from I5 to Reedsport and no construction.  That was our third trip over 38 in the last 2 weeks.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »
Couple of questions for those in the know...

After the BAK rally, we are going up to Springfield for a day or two and then want to head over to the coast. I had thought about going up to Corvalis and then over to Newport, but it was earlier  mentioned that Hwy 20 is not that pleasant. is there a better route over - I was hoping to get to the Newport or Lincoln city area and then work my way south along the coast. Already have reservations at Winchester bay and yachats.  

Is 99w a good road up to the hwy20 then 18? I see that in Corvalis there is some kind of manouveing through the city because  of a low bridge.

Also any recommendations  where to stay in the Lincoln city, Newport area. may bite the bullet and stay at pacific shores and drive around in the toad. - so taking 20 across would the easiest. My thinking is it can't be worse than some routes in northern Canada or Alaska (or for traffic, not worse than s. Texas).

Any recommendations south of Winchester bay. I am probably going to take Joel's advice around Gold beach. We want to head down to Crescent City, CA  and then head back over to Medford OR.

Jeff

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 12:55:31 AM »
I just drove 20 last week it was a good two lane road I would use it again some of our members will rent sites for $25 a night that's a great deal you may want to check with Vicki and Roy Warren,they may have a list of members you can contact.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Richard Cooper

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 01:06:32 AM »
I was at Crater Lake in Oregon a little over a week ago and afterwards went to Winchester Bay for a couple nights.  I took 138 and 38 (or was it the other way around?) from I-5 to Reedsport.  It was a beautiful seemingly newly paved road.  Most enjoyable.

Now from Winchester Bay to Newport along the coastal highway 101 --- that's quite another story.  It was not a good road.  Worst thing is that before and after Florence they were in the middle of paving it.  No one was working on the roads last week, but they had laid down a partial here and there splattering of asphalt.  It was great for a car, but not the wheelbase of my coach and I was fighting to hold onto the steering wheel the whole way as it was uneven.  Given that aspect of the road being annoying and the seemingly narrow road, but beautiful side views of the ocean distractions, it was not all that enjoyable for me.  Then the worst was a tunnel somewhere after Florence.  The signs on the tunnel said 11'6" on the side and 14+' in the middle.  I choose the middle and made a car move over.  Fortunately I could see no one else particularly another big coach coming in from the other side.  I sped up and got through it.  I would have torn off the side of my coach had I stayed in my lane.

A lot of hairpin curves and turns on 101.  Lots of traffic all whom wished you were not in their way.  I managed ok, but would not go through that tunnel again.

My Rand McNally GPS for RV's was telling me all along the way to exit 101 and head to I-5, but I ignored it because there were all kinds of tractor trailer rigs and other big coaches coming my way and I figured I could get through there easier than they do.   I even consulted my Mountain Guide map and it didn't warn me.  I've never talked to anyone who warned not to take the 101 highway with the coach.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:11:07 AM by 7165 »

Richard Cooper

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 01:15:29 AM »
Quote from: Jeff Watt
Couple of questions for those in the know...

Also any recommendations  where to stay in the Lincoln city, Newport area. may bite the bullet and stay at pacific shores and drive around in the toad. - so taking 20 across would the easiest. My thinking is it can't be worse than some routes in northern Canada or Alaska (or for traffic, not worse than s. Texas).

Jeff

I own 2 lots at Pacific Shores and both are offered for rent by the night direct from me.  See my ads under "FOR RENT" in the list of forums here.  I have lot 72 for $25 a night + electric and the lot I'm parked on for $48 + electric.  The ads latter posts say which dates they are available.  Read those.

Renting direct from the HOA will run $60 and $80 per night respectively + 10.5% tax.  Obviously, my prices are a good value.  Best part is you get to meet my dog Dusty!  LOL  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:14:04 AM by 7165 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
I'm not sure I'd avoid Hwy 20;  came that way a few years ago in the Beaver with no big issues.  As I've said, all the Coast Range routes by necessity have to wind a bit due to following west-draining rivers.  Decades ago we used to arise early in Clackamas and trailer our boat to Waldport to fish the Alsea tidewater for Chinook, following 34 along the Alsea to and from I-5 and Corvallis, but don't know if it now is any better than 20.  Yes, 20 has had issues, but risky drivers can be anywhere, and they don't all relegate proper speed to any of these coast/valley highways, nor respect passing rules up in the hills and down the river valleys.  20 is the most direct route, and University personnel use it heavily due to the Marine Science Center and OSU research stations centered around Newport and the sea.  It may as a result get more traffic than other east-west routes.  Both traffic and campground use should both be lighter after Labor Day.

Yes, you could go 99W to 22 and then 18, which is a commonly used route from Portland to the central coast, and is a good road.  But you'd have to know your route through Corvallis proper is a go, or detour to I-5 to 22 at Salem.

I've travelled 99E several times, and imagine 99W is similar - open farm country for the most part, two lane straight as an arrow, lightly travelled.  They both connect with 20/34 easily.  99W comes in before town, since 20/34 kinda bypasses Corvallis to the south.  But if you stay on 99W I think you take 3rd street through town, and I haven't been that way since college, long ago and far away.  Not sure what bridge is being referred to, but then I haven't approached Corvallis from the south;  you might check online maps or a satellite view to double-check the 20/34/99W intersection for how you get west-bound - the map I'm looking at doesn't show a flow-through ramp in that direction like there is eastbound, but it might be a lighted intersection.  If it was me, I'd just hit 20/34 west off 99W at Corvallis, via 99W out of Eugene (via 126 from Springfield), save time and fuel, and get 'r dun.  One caution, since we visit Lee's siblings in Springfield and Eugene regularly - do your manuevering through 126 and Eugene at some other time than rush hour.  126 is a very good route to the coast as an option, but why end up going north on 101 to Newport if you plan on coming back down - might as well see the Valley country with your time.

After Labor Day, the crowds are back in school, and it should be easy to drop in on any State Park Campground.  South Beach and Beverly Beach at Newport are expansive, well kept, less spendy than Pacific Shores, and close to the beach and a lighthouse or two, as well as all that Newport has to offer.  That said, if Richard's spot is available, it would be a great option.  A toad trip to Lincoln City is nice, and would include the interesting Depoe Bay.

Of the points south I could pick many we've enjoyed in our combined 115 years of Oregon citizenship, but Bandon is something special to us.  There used to be a cheese factory there that far outshone anything at Tillamook, but darned if the Tillamook bunch didn't buy it out and close it.  Tillamook still makes a "Bandon" cheddar, but it's not quite the same, and we miss all the other fabulous cheeses no longer made at Bandon.  We used to pig out in their sampling store.  Don't miss Face Rock or the mouth of the Coquille River, and the lighthouse tour on the north jetty.  It is next to a super state park you can camp in, Bullard's Beach.  Take a tour of a cranberry "farm" - Bandon is famous for growers that declared independence from Ocean Spray's control.  There are several RV park options around Bandon, a couple "snug" ones in the town proper, but we like Robins Nest RV Park a little bit south of town on the west side of 101 - check out their website at www.robinsnestrv.com.  It's a small park, simply laid out, but with great owners who also were rockhounds with an onsite rock shop... that is unless things have changed since we were last there a few years ago.  Don't miss the shopping and restaurants in old town Bandon, nor the quaint but mesmerizing museum along 101 midtown.

Next we like relaxing at Cape Blanco State Park, north of Port Orford.  There are plenty of spots for large RVs, mostly under large fir and cedar trees.  And there is a great old pioneer family home and a lighthouse on site - both offer guided tours.  The port dock at Port Orford makes an interesting hour or two.  You are at the most western point of the Continental United States at Cape Blanco.  I got a kick out of hiking to the mouth of the Sixes River next to the State Park.

Then you're off to Gold Beach and the rocket sleds!  Afterwards plan a night or two at Harris Beach in the nifty town of Brookings, Easter Lily growing capital of the world I think, and a mild-climated good place to retire.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »
Thanks Joel and Richard.

Joel, your description and recomendatins are appreciated. Seems like lots to see and so little time, although once on t coast it doesn't look too far between places (especially in the toad).

Richard, the problem is the dates as I won't be at the Newport area until September  19 or so and you're not booking that far into september - very good offer  compared to the standard rates.

Hope to see everyone at BAK in a few weeks.

Jeff

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
Jeff,
We are on lot 20 at Pacific Shores and will rent to you for $25 per night if you would like to come here.  Just contact me on our e-mail which is listed in the directory.  Make sure you subject the line so either Vicki or I will read the message.  You can use either e-mail.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13