Author Topic: Route Recommendation  (Read 19397 times)

Jeff Watt

Re: Route Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
Thanks Roy.

Email sent.

Jeff

Ron Langdon

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:01 AM »
I maybe late to the party, but I would vote with those recommending 22 from McMinnville to the coast. Although I have driven many Oregon back roads with and without the coach, I am not a fan of 99w to 22. Probably just me. The people at Olde Stone have a map that they recommend to get back to (or from I-5). I don't remember the exit number but it is the Donald exit. Exiting I-5 there and going south is, I think, a better choice. When going to McMinn from the north I always use that route. There are also two good truck stops if you need fuel.
On the other hand, I would not avoid 20. I drove it with the coach in July. The challenge is the last 10-15 miles where there is a good deal of incomplete construction with narrow lanes and sharp curves
In any case, enjoy the trip.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
Back again - I know I'll get lots of advice when I am in Canyonville, but I am curious about route 199 from crescent city to grants pass?

On my Allstays app it shows some winding stretches and one area of 5-6% grade.. My mountain driving atlas shows the same. Asking as I read on another site where the guy said 40' plus units should avoid it?

I hope to take it as I want to get back over that way after our coast tour; we have a limited amount of time for touring so south of crescent city won't happen this year.

Thanks,

Jeff

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
The only bad stretch is between Crescent City and Gasquet.  I have traveled it many times in my 36' with a toad and usually traveling west bound.  If you are traveling east from Crescent City to Grants Pass, you will be on the river side of the road and the overhangs will be on the opposite side in the west bound lane of traffic.  It is considered a major route from Grants Pass to the coast and is a fairly busy highway with many logging trucks during the week days.  I live in Redding, CA and if I am going to the Oregon coast, I will take this route rather than Highway 299 from Redding to Eureka as there are less mountains and it is a much shorter route.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 12:59:55 AM »
I used 199 last winter (in the snow no less)  but found the route just fine I would use it again if I wanted an enjoyable light traffic route. The windy part is the last 20-25 mins of the trip just before Crescent City
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
We take Hwy 20 both directions regularly going to Pacific Shores in our near 45 foot coach. Not a problem at all. There is about a 9 mile stretch closer to Newport (between about mp 15 and mp 25) that is a little windy - just slow down to the cautionary speed signs and you won't have a bit of trouble.

Hwy 38 between I-5 and Reedsport has 2 spots we don't like. A very narrow tunnel about 20 miles west of I-5 and a very narrow bridge about 20 miles east of Reedsport. The approach to the bridge is at an angle so you can't see traffic that might be approaching the other end.

We enjoy both Hwys 20 and 38 as they are both very pretty drives. Highway 26 into Florence is less pretty and considerably more windy.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll be doing this run after Canyonville, so will chat more at the rally.

Jeff

Richard Cooper

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
Jay -- what do you think of the tunnel north of Florence on the 101 highway -- heading to Newport?  Signs at entrance to tunnel said 11'6" on sides --- your big rig would have to nearly go down the center line.  I put about 1/3 to 40% of my rig in the opposing traffic lane and thank goodness another big rig wasn't coming at me or one of us would have had to unhook and back up.

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
Richard,

That is pretty much what we would do now though I tend to avoid routes that I know are going to cause me palpations ...

Jeff Watt

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »
I looked at the tunnel on google street view and I can see where it will/might cause some second thoughts. I guess the best way to tackle it is to try and see if anyone is coming, put the flashers on, headlights on, maybe blare the horns a couple of times and blast through in the somewhat middle of it  :o

Are there any other Tunnels/low/narrow bridges on 101 south of Newport to crystal city?

Jeff

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
Though it may appear intimidating, the tunnel's stats (and full signage) would not mean two large vehicles couldn't pass inside it.  The 11' 6" number is for the top of the side wall, where the arch begins.  Your coach should be a couple of feet away from that at worst.  Our coaches are more or less in the 12' 6" range at the top of our air conditioners, and I'm guessing around 11' 6" or so at the outer edge.

The white surface stripe is at the height 14' 6" point, so when centered in the lane, you should still be fine, with as much as 3 feet of clearance at the coach roof/awning edge.  Oregon, by law, has no clearance less than approx. 13 and a half feet or so (I don't recall the precise number off hand).  The center of the Cape Creek tunnel is at least 16 feet.

Though I might have white knuckles passing another large vehicle in there, as long as we both stay in our lanes and are at appropriate speeds, I wouldn't be overly concerned.  Nor would I look for an alternate route just to avoid the Cape Creek tunnel.    
http://bridgehunter.com/photos/14/46/144666-L.jpg

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Richard Cooper

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Though I might have white knuckles passing another large vehicle in there, as long as we both stay in our lanes and are at appropriate speeds, I wouldn't be overly concerned.  Nor would I look for an alternate route just to avoid the Cape Creek tunnel.    
http://bridgehunter.com/photos/14/46/144666-L.jpg

I looked at that picture and not what I recall.  The tunnel I went through from the south side had the 14'6" sign not on the side, but at the top to indicate the highest point was 14'6".  All I saw was 11'6" on the side and 14'6" in the middle.  So, I expanded my lane across the center line.  We must not be talking about the same tunnel.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 08:57:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the same tunnel, Richard.  The photo shown is from the north side, which may be why it doesn't ring a bell.  There are no other tunnels in the area on 101, but one at Knowles Creek along Hwy 126.  You may have encountered the Elk Creek Tunnel near Manzanita while you were on Hwy 38.

Here is a site where you can view both north and south portals of Cape Creek Tunnel  http://bridgehunter.com/or/lane/396100917842/
and there is more than one photo of the south portal here   http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Cove+Creek+Tunnel%2C+Oregon+101&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=cove+creek+tunnel%2C+oregon+101&sc=0-16&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=D4D346D7973A89533E346D9977513075D011A46E&selectedIndex=7

Joel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:17:31 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Adams

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
The 101 tunnel is not a problem for our 2001 Contessa. We have taken the tunnel each way and never even thought about it.

Now the tunnel on 38 is another story. The first (and only) time through we met a log truck about 200 feet from the end and I knew we were going to at least hit mirrors and I confess that I did close my eyes for a second. We made it through without a scratch but I did have to stop to change my pants! I won't go that way again!!

Take care, Steve

Ron Langdon

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 03:51:07 AM »
As reported earlier, 199 is well traveled and picturesque. Although the route is obviously doable, it is narrow in places. Traveling eastbound your passenger will get the full impression! Enjoy.