Author Topic: GPS Units  (Read 24305 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: GPS Units
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 05:07:53 AM »
You can always add an outlet to the nearest circuit.  We have several around the sink area, both on the kitchen counter front and 2 underneath the kitchen overhead cabinets.  Motorhome or house, you can't have too many outlets.

My one gripe is there should be a 12v outlet around the passenger seat, where the Missus can plug in a 12v blanket, a cell phone charger, her own GPS, or some other 12v adapted device.  That way I don't have to negotiate wires across the aisle when stopping for fuel, etc, and they won't snag in the step cover.  One of these days I'll tap into the one in the center console and run a wire under the coach and up into the passenger's right console, where I'll drill a hole in my beautiful cherry wood  :'(  for a 12v outlet on that side.  In the meantime I bought a device at Camping World to convert 110v to 12v so she can plug her blanky into an overhead AC outlet, and sleep toasty in the passenger seat as the genset or inverter runs.

And she wonders how she missed all the scenery!  :K)

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
Gary:
Look under the cabinet the microwave is in.  I have a duplex facing down in that location.  

I use a power bar plugged in behind the TV, but positioned so I can reach it, to plug the phone charger, printer, sat receiver, etc.  I am assuming the old TV has been replaced with a thin one that leaves room for all the other stuff that can go in that space.

There is a 120v light switch for three lighting circuits, that is above the dining table.  It would be an easy add on to put a duplex outlet beside it, stealing power from those circuits, facing down to the table.

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 02:38:36 AM »
There is an app for computers and smart cell phones called "Waze" that works as a GPS and friends and family can see where you are or a group can go on it and show where every one is at in real time.  Accidents, cops, etc. can be shown along with gas or diesel stops and prices.  I am still 2 weeks new to it, but seems to be a great little free app download.

www.google.com/search?q=Waze&oq=Waze&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j0l4.7026j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 05:48:07 AM »
I've been playing with WAZE for a couple of years on my iPad, just to monitor wuzup around my house, but never thought to use it as a tracking device in that way.  Thanks for the idea, Mike.

Now if only they had an icon that looked like a motorhome or a beaver  ;) .  https://www.waze.com/
Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
I'm going to contact Waze to see if they will put a large RV icon on for us.   :X

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
I've been playing with WAZE for a couple of years on my iPad, just to monitor wuzup around my house, but never thought to use it as a tracking device in that way.  Thanks for the idea, Mike.

Now if only they had an icon that looked like a motorhome or a beaver  ;) .  https://www.waze.com/
Joel

I sent this to WAZE support, lets see what happens:

I have had conversation with other RVer's bragging up your app: http://forum.bacrallies.com/v-post/b-gb/m-1375144003/post-1/  You need to read down through the posts, but thought I would ask to see if you can add a large RV icon, that looks like bus?  

Mary Collins

• BAC Member
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, 04:13:49 AM »
When our Garmin or and other GPS decides to 'forever' try to find a way to turn us back to go the way IT wants to go instead of the way we have decided to go,  the fastest way to get it to cooperate is to either "suspend" or "stop" guidance. Then when we get further down the road turn it on again. When the GPS recalculates it usually proceeds from our current point to our destination. Seems to save time and aggravation.

Mary
Mike and Mary Collins<br />02 Marquis Amethyst<br />

Craig Rollins

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
Seeing as there are a couple of mentions of the CoPilot Live app in this thread along with concerns about data usage I just wanted to point out that CoPilot does not require a data connection to function. The maps are downloadable and there fore self-contained. We use it as our primary GPS with Google Maps as our backup. Of course we supplement these with the Rand McNally Truckers Atlas, The Next Exit book and a great deal of common sense. ;)