Author Topic: HYDRO HOT FLUID LEVEL CUTOFF SWITCH  (Read 15744 times)

George Harwell

HYDRO HOT FLUID LEVEL CUTOFF SWITCH
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
The hydro hot in my coach is eating the low fluid cutoff switches 1 per year. The original lasted 4 years and the last 2 have failed in 11 months. Had to go outside this morning to disconnect the switch leads and install a jumper to have hot water and heat. I talked with factory last year and they indicated I may have gotten a defective part but would not stand behind it. Just offered to sell me another unit.I'm considering leaving the jumper in place and checking the overflow tank every morning. Can't believe they haven't solved this problem. Heck of a way to start out 2010!

HYDRO HOT HHE-500-07m

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: HYDRO HOT FLUID LEVEL CUTOFF SWITCH
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
So the last 2 replacement switches weren't warrantied?  (Electrical parts often are only 90 days, if that)  Even if not warrantied, AquaHot should have seen a red flag, given their switches aren't lasting a year.  With demand for coaches down in this economy, they should be alert to any ongoing problem that might besmirch their reputation, and with fewer units to build they should have time to research fixes.  It would be nice if they at least asked you to send them the failed switch(es) for testing and examination.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
The idea of operating your Hydro-Hot system with the low fluid level sensor by-passed can cause some very expensive problems. As a short term emergency repair (if you are sure that the system is not low on fluid) it is OK. But if left in place, and a bad leak developes while the system is running the burner chamber can overheat and cause major damage.

Gerald

Bruce Benson

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »
Hopefully you would notice a leak when it occurs.  Ours, a model AHE-100-01S was not built with a fluid level switch, so we take that chance everyday of operation.  The fluid level switch appears to be an addition added to later models due, I am sure, to problems eluded to by Gerald.

I agree that Aqua Hot needs to be a little more responsive.  I just had to have one but can honestly say that it is the most troublesome system in the coach.  I thought it would be quieter than the forced air but in our old coach it is not.  

I does provide a little better BTU for the dollar but I question how much of that is lost through the plumbing.  The heat exchangers on my coach are difficult to clean and noisy.  Admitting that I never had a forced air system this old I do remember the forced air as being trouble free.  The hot water is nice but a little management can make a 10 gal hot water heater work fine for us.  No, I would not go out of my way to buy another one.

Bruce

George Harwell

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
After further research I have determined that I am the victim of lowest bidder syndrom. I found a fellow BEAVER owner 02 Contessa with the same model Hydro Hot and his float switch is of a different design and color and is the original that came in the unit, No problems with it. I suspect the company (VEHICLE SYSTEMS INC. at the time) found a lower bidder and the product most likely came from China. I appreciate the responses and am well aware of the potential for disaster if a leak were to occur. I am also well aware that it is 32 degrees here in Florida and I'm not into cold showers.

WAITING FOR WARMER WEATHER!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
Where are you at in FL?

North Trail RV, Ft Myers had a great well versed Aqua Hot tech and he was training someone on ours when I had annual service done a few years ago. Our last one was done by a "mobile" Aqua Hot reccomended tech and was a not very good and cost 30% more and took two tries to get it right.

Alliance Coach (old Camp Monaco in Wildwood) might also be a good choice and you would be supporting our advertisers.  Then there is always Lazydays which has good techs and a $120 per hour labor rate.  They may have one of the older better switches.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »
George
Were the replacement switches Brass or the black plastic? I know you live in another part of the country, But I am a Factory trained/Authorized service Tech. Please feel free to contact me at any time. If you are in Quartzsite, Az. next week, contact me. I see no reason why those switches should fail like that.
I have been informed that Vehicle Systems has a replacement  switch which is electronic, sopposed to be an exact  replacement.
Orman Claxton
206 660 9893
Ocroadhouse@yahoo.com

George Harwell

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. After discussions with Aqua Hot and Orman I will order the float with the brass head. Hopefully it will be more durable. I already have training on replacing it so won't take long. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:13:36 AM »
For anyone with fluid level switch problems in a Aqua-Hot, here is the link to a detailed instruction sheet on replacement.

http://www.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/Downloads/How%20to%20Replace%20the%20Float%20Switch%20on%20Aqua-Hot.pdf

Gerald

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:56:53 AM »
Thank you Gerald, it's been saved along with the service manual in the laptop. Marty

Dave Blystone

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
i also had two switches in two years and no responce from aquq hot   i will never get a coach with it again  to many problems for me

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:17:21 AM »
Quote from: Dave Blystone
i also had two switches in two years and no responce from aquq hot   i will never get a coach with it again  to many problems for me

Exact opposite for us we e mail and have a call or e mail within an hour or so durning normal business hours. We are pleased with the service.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:33:19 AM »
For Aqua-Hot owners that have repeated problems with the mechanical fluid level sensor, you may consider upgrading to the electronic sensor that Aqua-Hot has recently released. The electronic sensor should have a much lower failure rate, but the down side is that it cost twice as much as the mechanical sensor.

Here is a link to the electronic sensor.

http://s271809615.e-shop.info/shop/article_43/Float-Upgrade---Fluid-Level-Sensor.html?shop_param=cid%3D3%26aid%3D43%26

Gerald

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
We also had 2 float switches go bad in a 2 year period. The latest switch seems to be working and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have had fantastic support from Hydro-Hot in troubleshooting problems and ordering parts with return phone calls within 30 minutes.

If the switch goes bad again I'll definately go the electronic sensor. Thanks for the info Gerald.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 06:21:18 AM »
For all concerned,
I am a Factory Certified Tech. Aqua-Hot has always responded in a timely manner. Don Quantana (Telephone Tech) with several years experience as a factory tech. If he cannot solve your problems, no one can. (The phones do get busy at times.)
I have just installed one of the new electronic coolant level switches  in my own Hydro-Hot.( I have to be able to say "Yeah, they work")
It is fairly easy install, Probably 1 1/2 -2.0 for most people with a little knowledge.
By the way, If Aqua-Hot cannot be reached After hours or Week Ends. Please feel free to call or email me, I don't close on weekends.
Orman Claxton
206 660 9893
Ocroadhouse@yahoo.com.