Author Topic: dash A/C refill pressure  (Read 3011 times)

Bill Stireman

dash A/C refill pressure
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
I am, as I type, having my coach serviced.  The tech is asking how much the dash A/C pressure should be.  I asked him to top it off as it has not been cooling as much as I would like.  If anyone knows i would appreciate hearing from you.  I have an '04 Monterey Laguna with a 400 HP C-9 Cat.

Bill Stireman

Edward Buker

Re: dash A/C refill pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
Bill,

Most good AC shops deal with this question all the time and should have some method of handling it. Many will pull the R134A with a vacuum and use a weighted charge that will be put back in. The pressure is temp dependent so this is an approximation.

A good High Side Pressure Reading for 134a = twice the ambient temperature + 50.
 For Example at 85° F, you would expect a high side pressure of 85x2=170+50 = 220 psig.

The R134 high side value is obtained for the outside ambient temperature that you are charging at. These values to be correct requires that the engine is running at high idle, say 1000RPM,  the dash air conditioner fan is running on high, and that there is good air flow over the condenser with the condenser electric fans running. Low side will probably run 30 to 35 lbs.

Later Ed

Bill Stireman

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
thank you Ed very helpful the job is done now

Bill

Roland DuBree

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:00:38 AM »
Are you sure your Freon is low.  I thought it was my problem too, added Freon and still not enough cool. Turned out the condenser cooling fan froze up and was not working. Replaced fan and it still would not run because the breaker and relay in the compartment under driver side window had burned out so no power to fan. Replaced both and all fine now.

Bill Stireman

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
adding refrigerant did the job - working well now

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey Laguna
400 HP Cat