Author Topic: No power to passenger side outlets  (Read 27453 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: No power to passenger side outlets
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 05:28:29 AM »
John,

I had a similar problem when I first plugged in to a 15 amp outlet in the garage at my old house, using a home and garden 16 gauge power cord. Since we have moved, the coach is stored about 2-1/2 miles away, and the owner of the lot lets me plug in there. Based on Bill Sprague's advice, I bought a 100 foot 12 gauge extension cord, and although its a long way, the 12 gauge apparently is the difference. No problems since.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

John Padmore

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »
I left the coach plugged in overnight and the amps went to 10. The voltage at the transfer switch is now 111 volts. I am using a 15 amp extens. ion cord, 25' long so I think that may be contributing to the voltage drop. Thanks to all for your help in solving this problem, I really appreciate it!.....

John

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 08:39:06 PM »
It's not just the amp rating of the cord.  Most are "15 amps" regardless of gauge.  To minimize voltage drop and cord component overheating, buy a 12 gauge cord;  the larger wire will carry power with less resistance to flow (current), minimizing any loss of volts (the power behind the current), aka "voltage drop", along the cord's length.  

The longer the cord, the larger its gauge should be.  12 gauge is about as heavy a regular extension cord as is commonly available at most retailers.  Beyond that you'd have to pony up for 30 or 50 amp RV extensions, unnecessary for just basic charge maintenance.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
It's not just the amp rating of the cord.  Most are "15 amps" regardless of gauge.  To minimize voltage drop and cord component overheating, buy a 12 gauge cord;  the larger wire will carry power with less resistance to flow (current), minimizing any loss of volts (the power behind the current), aka "voltage drop", along the cord's length.  

The longer the cord, the larger its gauge should be.  12 gauge is about as heavy a regular extension cord as is commonly available at most retailers.  Beyond that you'd have to pony up for 30 or 50 amp RV extensions, unnecessary for just basic charge maintenance.

Joel

Just to clarify, Joel. I saw 10 gauge at Lowes when I bought the 100 ft 12g. It was a 50 footer, and about 1-1/2 times the price of a 12g 100 footer. I didn't have a choice, I needed at least 80 feet.

Stan

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 10:01:31 PM »
Yup, some do have 10 gauge, but even 12 was hard to spot at most places I looked a few years ago.  And any heavier for the current draw intended seemed overkill at the prices asked, as you note.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat