Author Topic: Trickle Charging Batteries  (Read 4389 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Trickle Charging Batteries
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
The indoor heated storage facility that we use does not have either 50A or 30A shore power.  If I use a 15Amp pigtail to my 50Amp line, will that enough to keep the batteries charged over the winter?  Will not be running anything or using the coach.  Just want to ensure a sufficient level of power that the batteries are kept charged.
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

George H. Wall

Re: Trickle Charging Batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »
It will, just make sure to have batts fully charged to begin storage.   Henry

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
You can also double check on the monitor panel what total current you are getting by adding together the AC amps on each leg. It may start a bit high due to the charger but should trickle down quickly if the batteries are up. When you get down to 12amps or less you should be good to go.

Later Ed

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
I would recommend a separate multi-stage battery charger (I use a 2 bank, 12 amp) connected directly to your 15 amp plug.  One bank for your chassis batteries and one bank for your coach batteries.  That way you do not have to worry about over loading or low line voltage conditions at your 15 amp receptacle.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
Rick,

My storage facility has 20 amp service, and it has worked for me for 2 winters.  Just be sure to check the water every 2 months.

Larry

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:45:18 AM »
Quote from: Rick Vyncke
The indoor heated storage facility that we use does not have either 50A or 30A shore power.  If I use a 15Amp pigtail to my 50Amp line, will that enough to keep the batteries charged over the winter?  Will not be running anything or using the coach.  Just want to ensure a sufficient level of power that the batteries are kept charged.

If your '04 Marquis has the same or better inverter control panel as my '04 Monterey, you can set it for 10 amp shore power ensuring that the charger won't over load the shore breaker.  I've "camped" in a few driveways with it set that way.  As long as I don't plug in a toaster or hair dryer, all is fine.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
Rick:

I assume you will be unable to check on the coach over the whole winter, so don't worry about checking on the battery water, so long as you use a charger that is multi-stage.  The really old ferro-resonant charges would boil a battery dry over the winter if not checked on, but by 2004 I doubt you could even find one in a store, let alone find it as Original Equipment in your Beaver.  (My 98 has a multi-stage OEM charger).  

For under $100 you can put a very good multi-stage charger on a 15 amp plug, hooked directly to your batteries and never worry.  Or you can turn everything else off, including the ELC on your engine, and just use your house charger.