Author Topic: Seatbelt Problem  (Read 4241 times)

Mike Merchant

Seatbelt Problem
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
Passenger seatbelt has been pulled all the way out and will not retract. Hopefully there is a way to access the take-up mechanism without having to cut into the back of the seat. Anybody had a similar problem or helpful info.

Mike

Bill Sprague

Re: Seatbelt Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
Repeated slight to firm tugging and jerking on it will usually release it.  I know of no easy access to the mechanism.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
Mike,
The seat belt problem that you described is usually caused by letting a folded section of the seat belt retract into the roller causing it to jam. Jerking the belt and releasing it to let it retract a little more as Bill suggested will usually correct the issue.

Gerald  

Mike Merchant

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
Thanks folks.I'll get back to the Beav in a day or two and try that. My co-pilot, a 13 yo grandson  I suspect just kept pulling on it yesterday coming back from a trout fishing trip in the Cascades until it is now completely extended. Will hope for the best.
                                                                                                                                      MJM

Mike Merchant

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:17:32 AM »
Follow-up on seat belt failure to retract,FYI.
Tried the suggested gentle and forceful repeated jerk method and nothing worked. Found the government upholstery "do not remove under penalty of death" label sewn inside the back pouch which listed the manufacture, model, etc. Called Villa International, got a very helpful "Eric" who said:
                                               1- Put slide out so you can tilt seat back all the way back
                                               2- Put seatback all the way back
                                               3- SHAZAMM- the fully extended seat belt retracted before I could get the seatback raised back up. Happiness prevailed since I had envisioned seat removal, repair.

Seems the lockup mechanism is a ball bearing in a tract which moves forward with a brisk pull on the belt  resulting in lockup but the ball bearing can get stuck in the tract. By tilting back it lets the ball " unlock".You may have to jiggle it around when raising or lowering.
                                                                                                                                                                                  MJM

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
Good to know.  Thanks for posting the thread, Mike.  Now if only my Alzheimer's will forget to show up when one of my seat belts does the same thing.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat