Author Topic: Pressure In Water Inlet Hose  (Read 4304 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Pressure In Water Inlet Hose
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »
We just returned home from a four day outing at the State park near Vantage WA.  The campground has all utilities, including 50 amp and H2O with pressure at the campsite of about 45 to 50 #.  When I broke camp, I followed my normal routine to disconnect the coach water hose from the camp faucet, leaving the end of the hose empty while rewinding the hose.  As the hose was almost totally rewound, I noticed that the hose was continuing to drain a significant amount of water and continued to do so for several minutes.  I elevated the hose end about four feet and water continued to run.  It finally slowed to a trickle and I put the hose cap on and finished winding the hose.  During this time the water pump was not on.  At a rest stop on the way home, I noticed water running from out of the water bay.  I looked at the hose and water was escaping from the cap on the hose end.  I removed the cap and water continued to run.  I finally put a brass shut off valve on the end of the hose to stop the flow.  When I parked the coach, I opened the valve and sure enough, water continued to flow.  I suspect that water is being siphoned from the fresh water tank, pressure possibly from the accumulator tank.  Is there a backflow valve that may have failed or does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Edward Buker

Re: Pressure In Water Inlet Hose
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »
Norm,

The typical water inlet has a pressure regulator feature and back flow preventer. They do not want your water in the city water supply so I think that is required in the design. If it is a 4 screw mount unit that looks like this, that feature is built in. Could have debris in it or it may just be defective.

http://www.dyersonline.com/shurflo-chrome-pressure-regulated-water-fill.html

Later Ed

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »
Thanks Ed.  No, my configuration has the water hose reel mounted behind the water panel access and I pull the hose out to use and then the power reel to wind the hose back in.  I will be a the coach later today and I will look to see if I can see any type of valve at the hose reel.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
Norm,
There is a pressure regulator/backflow preventer (check valve) where the hose ties into the coach plumbing. From your description, that check valve is leaking pressure from the water pump back into the hose.

Gerald

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:28:17 AM »
Had a similar problem, just hooked up to city water at a higher water pressure to fill the water tank then disconnected and the back-flow valve started working again.  Try hooking up at about 70 psi water pressure to see if that will work.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13