Author Topic: Real Early Beaver?  (Read 8285 times)

Edward Buker

Real Early Beaver?
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
I saw this motorhome in the campground that we are staying in. I was not sure if this motorhome represented early roots of our current Beaver brand or if this Beaver was entirely another company. At any rate it is pretty humble beginnings if it is our true Beaver coach brand. Just a little curious if someone has the answer and an approximate year if it is a true Beaver....

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Real Early Beaver?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Ed,
It's a 1979 Beaver. On the BAC web page, go to Coach Assist, then Beaver Motor Home History and you'll find the brochure including floor plans.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »
Thanks Steve, I probably should have looked on the BAC site. Those were some humble beginnings.... I can't say it is still rolling but someone is at least living in it. It must have been an exiting company transition from the coach that they made in 1979 to the Contessa and Marquis of the late 80s. They are just a light year apart in appearance and function. This was the oldest Beaver I have ever seen. Someone in our development had an 86 I think and it was also was not very appealing like the late 80s early 90s coaches.

How are you coming with the new ownership bugs on your Marquis. Are you there yet or still checking some off?

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
Ed,
I wanted a project but then again, "be careful what you wish for...". It's been a challenge so far; tranny wiring bad, overheating due to a leaking heater core and ??. water heater shot due to electrolysis in tank, heat exchanger water lines disconnected. Suspect freeze damage but will  pressure test to verify. Gen set bad; suspect bad rotor based on sound and repair by PO. Dash AC blowing condensed water into drivers floor area due to blocked drain that I haven't located yet. Just lost 2nd AC control board (lasted < 60 days). Board show burn spot in area different from original so suspect faulty board. Getting replacement under warranty and having original repaired as spare. House batteries just over 2 yrs old but don't hold load well. Cells all check good but suspect they've been run dry at one time in life. Trying to decide to go with Trojans or AGMs for just under 2x $
Once I get through the above I can start on the interior; TV upgrades, new floor, etc. as well as a number of niggling repairs needed there. BTW, think I'll plagiarize your wine cabinet design when I have time.
I knew I was going to throw some $ at it as I got it for a very good price. Just didn't expect it to hit all at once. On the other hand, I wanted to see what she'd do on a 5K mile trip. Found out.
Steve
Steve

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
Steve,

You will get to the end of this and fall in love again. Kudos to you for handling all these issues well, it is not a short list. Take your time when you get to the more fun projects. When you get the bugs all out it should be mostly maintenance.

They are a great ride and when you are finished you know it will be done right, that is what is important. They will probably never make coaches like this in our bank account range, so buying at a good price and then fixing all the issues is still the best strategy even with the pain....

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:35:48 AM »
Ed,
Know what you mean. It's the quietest, most livable coach we've owned or used. Just going to take some TKC (&$) :)
Steve
Steve

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:50:54 AM »
In 1979 that was a "high end" coach. Compare a 1979 car to one you get in 2013.

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:24 AM »
[size=14][/size]Steve and Ed...The pix posted above is one of the first Class A motor homes Beaver built.  They started building Class C coaches in about 1975 and it was just a plain Beaver (no separation of models).  If you are attending the Bac(k) to the Future rally in Canyonville I will be presenting a seminar on the History of Our Beaver Coaches. Since Violet and I are charter members of the BAC we've been around Beaver coaches for 30 years.  When we purchased our first Beaver Coach in 1976, it was, of course, a Class C Mini coach and it was the Monterey model.  It was a far cry from today's Monterey.  The first organizational rally was held in Bend in September, 1983.  At this time all the coaches were Mini Class C coaches.  They were all gas powered coaches with either a 454 Chevrolet or a 440 Dodge engine.  The first diesel powered coach was built in 1985.  Hope I will see one or both at Canyonville.  Safe travels. :)  Hope this helps in learning a little of Beaver history.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »
Mandy,

Thanks for chiming in here. Interesting bit of history. I had an 89 Contessa as you probably know so I have some affection and respect for that era Beaver coach. Hope someone records your presentation, I would love a DVD of it. The rally is not in our plan given family commitments having priority in our travels. Safe travels to you.

Later Ed

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
After reading this thread, I logged on to the main site to have a look at some of those brochures, and the year 1990 caught my eye, I was looking at the picture on the cover thinking " that looks like a Prevost" and sure enough Beaver did make a Prevost bus conversion that year, I had no idea.
Steve , I know your pain when it comes to buying projects, you may have seen some of my posts as I have worked through the issues on the two Marquis that I have had, it's so nice when you get to the point that you can use them at least, now I'm doing the same thing with this Travel Supreme that I bought, I must be a sucker for punishment.
Just keep making lists and crossing things off, and eventually you will just be down to general maintenance.