Author Topic: Motorhome handling issues  (Read 26578 times)

Terry Melot

Re: Motorhome handling issues
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
Leah, I'm sure they'd be happy to tinker with handling and get it tracking straight. can't imagine they'd remove the Safety plus and install a blue ox for only the difference in original price. They are so far away, it is a pain dealing with them. DW has to follow me the 50 miles and take me back the next day. I could tell they took my Beaver for a test drive, it had 4 more miles on it than when I dropped it off. I can't imagine that they thought it was natural to pull to the right. Maybe they thought it was the crown of the road? Should have taken your advice and waited for the Blue OX. If one more small adjustment does not correct it, I will probably remove the Safety plus and put it up for sale.
BTW, no one answered my question about "What does it do".
It is simply a spring loaded shock absorber tied to the frame on one end and the tie rod on the other, preventing the tie rod (steering wheels) from making sudden movements and the spring helping it stay centered. I have no doubt it increases safety in a blow out but I doubt it will improve handling in any way.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »
Terry, I had the Safety Plus put on my 98 Monterey and loved it. I did have to adjust it also. After about three adjustments it was perfect and solved my problems. I was going to take it off and put it on my 02 Thunder but my Thunder drives straight and true with no problems and has for the last 6.5 years.
Marty

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
I had a Safe-T-Plus installed on our old Pace Arrow by Camping world.  Never had an issue with it, but then I never had a blow out either.  Hopefully your next tweak will be spot-on, but the installer certainly should be responsible for their lousy installation, even if they had to recompense your installation labor fees.

If I get around to putting a steering damper on ours, I'll likely go to Henderson's, a BAC sponsor, who built their own device and are well known quality installers.  I'll have them check out the rest of the chassis while I'm there.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »
Terry,
IMHO Massey's Diesel is the best shop in the valley for chassis and engine work. Tom, the service manager has been in the RV/Diesel service biz at that location since the mid eighties. They are a bit of a drive as they are on 59th ave south of Buckeye, but well worth the trip. They've done service on both my Beavers and have never had a problem.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
Terry
I sure would go back Spectrac and see about an exchange especially since you are having so much problem.  Really, ask to speak with the owner.  I have dealt with him before and I think you might get some resolution.  His name escape me with age!
Leah

Gerald Farris

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »
Terry,
As I stated earlier in this thread, "that a steering stabilizer without a trim unit to adjust the center location for different driving conditions will be of little benefit for you problem". Therefore, it is my opinion that the Super Steer stabilizer without a trim unit is a waste of money when it comes to your complaint in this thread. I strongly recommend that you talk to the shop owner and voice your concerns. If they convinced you to buy something that does not correct your problem, it is their responsibility to work with you especially since you initially requested the right product.  

Gerald

Terry Melot

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
Thanks, Gerald.  I did not expect the Safety Plus to improve handling, just safety. What I didn't expect is for the handling to be worse than before (pulling to the right). Hopefully, I can get that corrected with another try or two at tweaking the position of the SP. I've been happy with the handling since I increased the "toe-in".

Gerald Farris

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »
Terry,
The problem that will be worse without a trim unit is that when you are steering into a crosswind or compensating for road crown, it will require more pressure on the steering wheel to keep the coach going straight. Therefore, driving under those conditions will be more tiring, because the stabilizer will be trying to return the wheel back to center.

Gerald    

Doug Neal

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »
I had Roy install the Henderson system on our 03Contessa. But he also installed the trim kit. If you don't have the trim kit that is your problem. When you are in a cross wind I just pull slitley into the wind, bump the switch and life is good. Note do not expect this unit to correct for a 40 mile cross wind, it will help but not totally correct it.

Terry Melot

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »
After having a Safety Plus installed in Mesa, the coach pulled right. I had Henderson install the trim unit in Indio.  After trim unit was installed, on the way to Quartzite, it handles great even in stiff cross winds. Well worth the almost $2k spent on Safety Plus and the trim unit.
I actually have time to tinker with the Silver Leaf while driving, which I could never do before while going down the road.
It is amazing how much less time needs to be spent concentrating on keeping the coach in lane. Can't wait to get on the road again.