Author Topic: Intake Manifold Temprature  (Read 3816 times)

Adam Hicklin

Intake Manifold Temprature
« on: August 30, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
What is the significance of Intake Manifold Temprature?  I see the read-out, but I have no idea what it means, why it is important, what is normal, or how to control it.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Gerald Farris

Re: Intake Manifold Temprature
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Adam,
To the average Beaver owner, intake manifold temperature is not a significant factor. The intake manifold temperature is significant when determining the efficiency of the CAC (charge air cooler) in relationship to turbo boost pressure. So if the engine temperature is OK, the engine power is OK, the air filter is OK, the intake manifold temperature will be OK. The only way that you can control intake manifold temperature is by reducing the turbo boost with less foot on the throttle. The "normal" temperature will vary between coaches depending on CAC efficiency and how hard the coach is driven.

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
Thanks Gerald.  So basically, if everything seems to be running fine, I shouldn't worry about it.  I can ice with that.  

Doug Neal

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:50:38 AM »
I agree with Gerald. My Cummins ISL runs about 15-20 degrees above the ambient temp. When you climb a long hill you will see the manifold temp rise shortly after the water temp will rise.