Author Topic: No Power to Seats and Pax shade  (Read 3893 times)

Bruce Sieloff

No Power to Seats and Pax shade
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:11:57 AM »
Some time ago we had an electrical fire, caused by the passenger window visor motor getting stuck in the down position and apparently short circuiting. The company did right and replaced both drivers and pax shades but since then we have had no power to the pax shade and the driver and pax seats. In studying the wiring diagram it appears that both the seats are hooked up to a 30 Amp CB47 (circuit breaker 47?). The only 30 AMP breaker in the system I could find was under the Inverter in a junction box, photo attached. It is made by Deltrol Controls and is a complicated piece of work, apparently handling 15/30 amps and 300/600 volts. In the attached photo I can see a black spot on the left of the bottom breaker, and though difficult to see, it looks charred and different from the other two; not just a piece of flash, but bubbled a bit. 30 amps is certainly enough to fry something. There is no trace of power at the power seat lead on the terminal board in the electrical bay. Am I looking in the right spot? I can't find any continuity between the pax side visor switch and the shade leads and certainly no trace of 12volt power; these are 12 volt, right? The driver’s side works fine before and after the event and I can only assume it is on a different circuit.  I can only assume that the pax shade was getting power from the seat circuit. I would appreciate any tips, I'm taking the coach out to have a slide issue addressed, we have no slides either and it looks like a hydraulic leak is the culprit, but I would like to address the seat issue on my own.

Bruce Sieloff

Re: No Power to Seats and Pax shade
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
[size=14]Well, I did get resolution on this from the good folks at Brazells in Centralia, Wa. They found a resettable circuit breaker driving the power seats had failed for the last time when the overload from the shades occurred. Did I mention the overload melted contacts in both activation switches? The breaker is in the electrical bay under the drivers side, and I didn’t take it for a breaker since it was so thin, it looked like a spacer. Turns out there are a whole row of them under the hot strip on the forward side of the terminal strip.
 The slides turned out to be a replacement hydraulic pump was required and now they move out smartly. One of the nicest things they did was to relocate the high and low port for the drivers AC to the engine bay where they can be easily reached to be serviced.
I think the big breaker I identified is actually the transfer switch, although the totality of the electrical system remains an emerging mystery. I understand what it does, I just don’t know what it looks like or where it’s located. Kind of like the surge protector that is supposed to be resident in the system but can’t be identified.
If you can’t do it yourself, this is not an engagement for the faint of wallet.[/size]

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: No Power to Seats and Pax shade
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »
Glad you finally got it resolved, Bruce.  Sorry no one here could help, but sometimes we just don't have a clue either.  We certainly appreciate your adeptness at describing things though, and the fact that you returned to the Forum to explain the cause and fix.  It may help someone in the future.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat