Author Topic: Roof air not working while driveing  (Read 3689 times)

David Fischer

Roof air not working while driveing
« on: September 07, 2013, 11:25:21 PM »
The other  day we had to go back home to northern NM from Albuquerque after taking my wife out of the hospital.  The engine air wasn't doing the job so I turned on the generator and the two air's wold not turn on.  I stopped and checked the breakers and the breaker on the generator and everything was ok.  When getting home I plugged in and everything worked.
Today I got my tester to see where the problem may be.  I turned off the outside electric and then started the generator, then put on both airs and everything worked fine,  Can anyone explain this to me or help me find where the problem may be so I can fix it before another heat wave hits.
Thanks
David

Dennis Crawford

Re: Roof air not working while driveing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:40:36 PM »
David,

Are you sure the gen-set is actually giving power?  This is probably a silly question, but it is a start.  If you are getting power out of the gen-set, but not getting any into the coach, the most likely culprit is the transfer switch.

Secondly,  you started the generator but did it stop?  I had a problem with my generator (2005 Monterey) where I would start it and it would run for a while and then stop.  If the coach engine was NOT running, the generator was fine.  Turns out there was a missing wire at the BIRD module.

Let me know what you find out..

Dennis

David Fischer

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
Ok, today I turned off the power to the coach and turned on the engine.  I then turned on the generator and let it get up to speed,.  Then turned on the roof air and it worked.  Also checked the laundry machine and it worked also.
My question is what could have gone wrong and what should I be looking at to prevent this from happening again?  Not being much of an electrician doesn't help of course, but I can follow instructions.  Is it a possible transfer switch going bad.
Help
David

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »
David,

Either the generator was not producing 120V or the transfer switch did not transfer it. The only way to know is to have it happen again and then take the cover off of the transfer switch and measure the input and output side of the transfer switch to see if the 120V is there and if it was passing through the relays. I would run the generator each day for 10 or 15 days while at home and see if it happens again. There is some chance that the heat of that day may have helped cause the issue so if you have hot days test your systems then.

I have seen the breaker on a genset look like it is in the on position and be partially tripped so reset that by going to the off and then the on position to be sure that is/was not involved.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
David,

If you get it to act up again, check the inverter control panel inside the coach to see if the AC Source light is lit. If the generator is running and putting out voltage, the lamp should be lit.

Voltage from the generator first goes through the transfer switch, then to the 50A main breaker in your AC breaker box. From there it is distributed to the various AC loads through the other breakers in the box; AC1, AC2, Inverter, etc.

If the AC light is not lit and neither AC is running; it's the transfer switch, 50A Circuit breaker, or generator (in that order of priority IMHO).

If the AC light is lit or not lit and one AC is running , you've lost one leg of the AC input; Transfer switch or 50A Circuit Breaker.

If the AC light is lit and neither AC is running the AC circuit breakers are bad or you've got a wiring problem between the circuit breakers and the AC units (probably ground). The light being on indicates the generator and transfer switches are OK.

The other possibility is that the generator is heating up while driving and not supplying enough voltage to power the ACs, but I think that would produce a generator shutdown and fault code.

(Above based on the wiring schematics for an 03 Marquis but should be applicable).

Good Luck, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp