Author Topic: CAT C9 RECALL  (Read 13234 times)

LEAH DRAPER

CAT C9 RECALL
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »
I understand from a news letter from the Good Sam Club that there is a recall regarding a potential fire hazard involving the C9 engine's fuel pump.  I have yet to be notified by BEAVER/MONACO or CAT.  I called Monaco to verify this and was told this was true and to contact CAT. When I contacted the Phoenix CAT dealer they also verified that this was the case for certain serial #'d engines.  They however have to inspect the the fuel pump to determine if the fuel pump plug has to replaced and order it.

I was also told that there were two (2) engine software upgrades that need to be done!

It really dismays me that we (me) are seemingly NOT being notified of these types of issues by BEAVER/MONACO.

Can anyone shed "light" on these issues?

Leah

Tom Rogers

Re: CAT C9 RECALL
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »
This is news to me and I was just at the cat dealership here in Eugene, or. They did go ahead and perform a software update ... said nothing about a recall. Do you have any recent information???

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:17:04 AM »
No new information other than it has to due with a fuel pump "plug" that has to be inspected to determine if it is "good" or possibly bad.  Had appointment to have it checked out but had to cancel due to my getting sick.  

Larry Kuzma

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:24:28 PM »
JUST HAD MY CONTESSA IN FOR THE RECALL AT MY LOCAL CAT DEALER.  PICKED IT UP LAST SATURDAY MORNING AND GOT MY RECALL NOTICE IN THE MAIL THAT AFTERNOON FROM CAT.  PLACES CAPABLE OF THE REPAIR HAVE A LIST OF THE ENGINE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS THAT NEED THE FUEL PUMP PLUGS REPLACED, OR YOU CAN CALL CAT DIRECT AND THEY CAN TELL YOU IF YOUR ID NUMBER IS ON THE RECALL LIST.   THEY ALSO DID A SOFTWARE UPDATE WHILE IN THE SHOP.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:44:26 PM by 330 »

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:13 PM »
Can you elaborate on what the software updates do? i.e., So they increase HP, Torque, improve MPG?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:33:28 AM »
Software updates are virtually always done by the manufacturer to correct driveability and/or compliance (emissions) problems that can be corrected by changing the parameters in the computer program that controls engine fueling and/or timing. Horsepower and torque changes in the engine program are called a re-rate and are only done as an extra charge to the owner.

Gerald

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »
Thanks Gerald for your description of "software updates".  I didn't realize that for "re-rates" that the owner generally had to pay for these, guess I thought these were covered by warranty.  Guess I was dreaming huh?  Was also hoping that those who have had the updates to the C9 engine would be able to be specific as to what they involved.  

Thanks again for your general description, was enlightening.

Leah

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 03:17:56 PM »
re rates or increasing the HP and torque of an engine is an option just like the "chips" you see used in a lot of diesel pickup trucks (my brother has one on his Cummins Dodge) before doing a rerate be sure the cooling capacity and drive train (especially the Allison Transmission) can take the additional power.

The software upgrades improves the driveability and/or efficiency (problems) at its standard  HP and torque.

Some of the aftermarketers products makes some wild claims and installation can cause a loss of warranty if the modification causes a problem.

Don Hircock

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 12:06:52 AM »
Monaco is recalling certain model year 2008-2009 Safari Cascade RD, Cheetah, Beaver Contessa, and Monterey Class A motorhomes equipped with C7 or C9 caterpillar diesel engines. The fuel pump outlet check plug may be cracked which could cause fuel to spray and leak. Fuel leakage, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire. Monaco is working with Caterpillar (please see 08E042). Caterpillar will replace the fuel pump plug free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during October 2008. Owners may contact Caterpillar at-1-800-447-4986 or Monaco at 1-888-685-6545. 08V-450

Info I just found online about motorhomes afffected.