Author Topic: Textured paint on bumper  (Read 3154 times)

Mark Beavin

• BAC Member
  • 602-448-1434
Textured paint on bumper
« on: July 27, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »
My 96 Monterey has a textured paint used on the lower half of the bottom paint scheme. Doing some fiber glass repair and would like to match the texture. How is it done? Any body ever do this? Or should I just sand it all down smooth?
Mark Beavin  Judi Binderman
FMC 491464
1996 Beaver Monterey 30'
3126 Cat Diesel 250 HP

Mike Shumack

Re: Textured paint on bumper
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 11:41:48 PM »
I've heard of people spraying the nose of their coach with colored bed-liner paint. It's a real tough paint and covers up the old cracking diamond shield nicely and has a rough texture. Perhaps someone did that for your lower paint color. If that is the case, it's going to be a hard to sand off - but once its off, you could respray with a similar material.
I used the Raptor bed-liner paint in my truck. It comes in different colors (I used black). https://www.u-pol.com/us/en/color-pouches#.XTzTE-hKiUk
The following users thanked this post: Mark Beavin

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 12:06:31 AM »
We had "rino" put on our nose and then it was painted to match our coach. It was done by Jeff Spears at Bend RV Repair in Bend, Oregon. We are very satisfied by the results. The nice thing is that when rocks hit the nose which cause small chips they can be easily touched up with matching paint. Connie Bradish

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 04:32:05 AM »
Mark,
I certainly wouldn't try to smooth the existing texture as you will be inviting many rock chips on your first trip. IMHO take it to a shop that does "rhino coating " type work on RV front ends and have it "touched up as needed. I had 3M "diamond shield on my 2 previous RVs and hated it. It does "chip" and peel at the larger chip areas, regardless of what the ads claim and is a "monster" to remove. I had my front cap repainted about 18 mos ago due to an accident and left it unprotected. I plant to "rhino coat" it when it gets enough chips to make me have to sneak up on it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp