Author Topic: Exhaust Brake  (Read 4837 times)

Jim Shaw

Exhaust Brake
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »
OK more problems on my 2003 Monterey. coming home from a trip yesterday my exhaust brake failed to work. When I turn the switch on the exhaust brake on light comes on but the trans indicator stays in 6 and I get no exhaust brake. My coach has the Cummins 350 if that will help. Hope someone has an idea where to start looking.

Also my house batteries do not seem to be getting any charge from the alternator.

Thanks
Jim

Bill Sprague

Re: Exhaust Brake
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:46:18 AM »
My '04 with a Cummins did that a few times a while back and got better.  If I recall correctly, I could flip the switch and use the down arrows to select 2nd and all was well.  It may have improved because it was lubed with the special Pac Brake lube.  

For the batteries, I would put a voltmeter on them.  If the batteries are old or the terminals corroded, you won't get much charge.

Be careful with the house batteries.  If they are low or old, they will work the alternator hard enough to get it so hot it will fail.  

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »
I have the same setup as you and I just had to replace my alternator.  First it would not charge and then it would start charging 17 volts.  Mine went out in Astoria Oregon and cost me $195 plus mobile mechanic rate to replace it.

Doug Neal

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:22:05 AM »
I have a 03 Contessa with a 370hp ISL Cummins. Not quite the same as you. My 3000MH never down shifts when I engage the Pac Brake. I just use the down arrow.

Dennis Mecklenburg

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:29:50 AM »
Jim,
I had a similar problem with the exhaust brake itself not activating (2003 Monterey)even wihen the indicator light was on. I found that the Exhaust Brake solenoid/relay K9 in the driver side electrical bay needed to be replaced. Good luck with yours !!!  Solenoid/relays can be tested first to be sure that is the culprit and are readily available at most auto parts stores.
Dennis M.

Doug Neal

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:11:43 AM »
If your house batteries are not charging from the alternator do use the generator to charge them? To check to see if the alternator is doing its job. Motor off check voltage. Should be about 12.5. Start engine, run @ 1200 or so rpm. You should see 13.8 volts. If less you are correct the alternator is not charging the house batteries. I assume it is charging the engine batteries as you didn't mention that you could not start the engine.