Author Topic: OTA antenna etc.  (Read 3405 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
OTA antenna etc.
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
We had a roof leak and after much soul searching and roof inspecting and sealing of clearance light lenses.  I discovered that the black sheath through which all the wires for the OTA antenna runs, had a hole in it and was allowing water to travel back down the sheath, through the boot and into the roof.  It then followed the wires to the AV cabinets and so on.
At this point it occured to me that there should only be te coxel cable there anyway.  Aparently someone has run two insulated 16 ga. wires up through the pasage and cut the boot on the mount base.  These wires are attached to the antenna support pole via a hose clamp.

Anybody got any idea what thos wires are for?

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: OTA antenna etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
Keith that's a puzzle but a good guess they used the wires to power some king of appliance like a booster or like a power antenna?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bob Jae

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
It could have gone to a mercury switch to control the light on the dash that lets you know the antenna is up, I have one on my OTA.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »
I think Bob is probably right. The only other possibility that comes to mind is some kind of Wifi powered repeater or cell antenna repeater. You could connect the wires together momentarily and see if a light comes on somewhere...

Later Ed