Author Topic: Dash heater inop  (Read 4582 times)

Tom Chace

Dash heater inop
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:40:10 PM »
Does anyone know?
What is the best way to check the heater core without removal?
I ask due to not getting heat but also no indication of any leaks.
The air blows - the engine is hot enough - I can get heat from the hurricane hydro heater but not from the dash.
The valves are correct.
I suspect the core might have an air pocket.
The core is blocked, or The core has been bypassed(no confidence in these two though)

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank You

Tom

Gerald Farris

Re: Dash heater inop
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »
Tom,
There is almost no way that the heater core in your dash A/C has total internal blockage. The highest probability for no heat from the dash system is either a malfunctioning heater control valve or a bypassed heater core. The only way to determine your problem is to check the heater hoses for a bypass because of a leaking heater core, and if there is no bypass, check the control valve.  

If the heater core is not bypassed and the control valve is operating properly (hoses to core are hot), the temperature door in your A/C system is not operating properly. The temperature door is a door that directs air flow through either the evaporator core or heater core or a combination of the two. That door is how the dash A/C system controls how cold or hot the air is that it is delivering to the coach interior.

Since you did not say what model coach you have, I have a little difficulty in telling you exactly how to check the control valve and temperature door systems, but they are both basic automotive A/C systems. So it should be straight forward if you know anything about automotive A/C systems.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:16 PM »
I've had three rigs, including our last motorhome, where the issue was either a hung up gate (the door Gerald refers to), a malfunctioning gate actuator, or a bad actuator circuit connection at the dash control.  That diverter door is a common culprit.  Unfortunately it is not often easily accessed for repair.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Pam Chace

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 01:11:40 AM »
The coach is a 99 Monterey Redondo
Thanks,
Tom

Tom Chace

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »
Gerald and Joel
Thank you for the response
The latest on the heat from the Monterey Redondo is:

I have heat.
I removed the heater control valve ( I think) and adjusted the hot water flow until the heat flowed through the core.

Am I correct to assume that this is THE heater control valve?
It has CEI on the front and is shaped like a baby grand piano.

If this all seems like the culprit for the lack of heat (until today) would you let me know?

Our maiden voyage in this coach is coming soon and we will need the heat for a while.

Thank You for the help!

Tom and Pam Chace