Author Topic: 12V DC wall socket  (Read 7691 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
12V DC wall socket
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:21:36 AM »
In our entire coach, we have one 12V outlet, and its down by my feet by the accelerator pedal. We need to plug in a tire monitor, Garmin, and a phone charger, and from time to time an iPad charger. We are forced to use one of those 3 in one plugs that plugs in to the one outlet. There are wires and cords all over the place, in the way. Especially when we are getting the walkie talkies out of that little drawer in front.

I've decided to try to do something about this issue.

I'm sure everyone has seen one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lighter-Socket-Stainless-Steel-Plate/dp/B005IBCMAM/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Has anyone ever seen a wall plate with more than one socket? Preferrably three, but I would settle for two.

Thanks,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 12V DC wall socket
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:17:18 AM »
There are plenty of dual and triple outlet adapters, but I've not found a plate configuration.  I did get some years ago another single plate version, intending to one of these days run wiring to install it next to the copilot seat.  Multi-outlets won't rid us of trip-hazard wire snarls anyway.  

As an alternative, I got a 110 to 12v cord extension at Camping World, so at least 12 v. devices could access power while on the road throughout the coach via genset or inverter as appropriate.  You might give that idea some consideration.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:26:17 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:07:41 AM »
Joel,

I think I'm going to get this one.  http://www.bellautomotive.com/Triple-Outlet-Power-Strip-with-USB-Port-p/22-1-39256-8.htm

There is a swing out tab on each end to use for mounting to a wall or shelf.

Thanks,

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:43:34 AM »
Up above the door, near the awning control, I have a booster for the swing up TV antenna, and it incorporates a 12v outlet.  I use that one for the cellphone, and rest the phone on the window valance.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »
As soon as we bought the coach, I had three outlets installed on the right side of the dashboard cowl where it meets the center console.   Those outlets power my Wilson Sleek, WiFi Ranger, and TPMS monitor.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »
A picture Joel?

Thanks,

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
We ordered these nice black ones because they were smaller and matched the black switches on our Marquis. Where wiring them into both sides of our bedroom night stand areas to charge up our smartphones etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN0EN66/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers Brent

Tom Chace

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 12:11:27 AM »
I took the single 12v jack over the accelerator and installed a three way that has an adjustable plug which will bend 90 degrees - drilled a hole - used a 2" screw and secured the three way to the wood (careful where you drill the hole and insert the screw).
It is a handy location and access - no wires to deal with.

In the Monterey I have access to get a wired three way from a 12v pos and a ground to run the power to the navigators seat and use the same drill and screw (x2) method don't forget to fuse it.

Just a thought

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
A picture Joel?

Thanks,

Stan

Here's a picture.  The WiFi Ranger is on the shelf where the Bose used to be.  The red light in back is just a reflection of the LED on one of the chargers. The matryoshka doesn't require 12V power!  LOL

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
Joel,
I just added three outlets to my 2005 Monterey.  I bought the fixture from West Marine.  Did not use the faceplate, just the sockets.  Themselves. I placed them on the top off my console. Eady to get to by removing the drawer.

Dennis