Author Topic: Removing rad  (Read 4091 times)

harry kew

Removing rad
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »
I have a 1999 Patriot, 3126, 40'.  Going to be removing the rad for cleaning. Looking for any tips from anyone that has removed there rad. Or anything that should be looked at while the rad is out.
Thanks Harry

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Removing rad
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
Harry
I am assuming that this is the rear mounted radiator?  We had one in our '98 Pat.  I had the whole radiator flushed out in place and filled with Cat ELC.  I provided the ELC and paid $50.  From there it was a simple spray it with 50% simple green and hose it gently from both sides with a garden hose.
Check the engine coolant fan blades for cracking and the hoses for wear but otherwise I wouldnt pull it out.  I was told it is a bear of a job.
Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
Harry,
Keith is right if  the radiator isn't really packed full of oil/soot coated debris. The shop I use had pulled a rear radiator out of a 2000 Contessa that didn't look like it had ever been cleaned. Only area for air flow was the fan radius itself. Rest of unit was packed with debris and coated with the diesel soot, etc from the engine blow-by, which should have been re-routed. It clearly had to be removed for steam cleaning. Suggest you run engine at high idle and check for airflow at the radiator. If you have a few areas, (normally corners) where it is reduced, you may be able to clean it yourself. I'd use air first to blow out as much as possible before going to water and detergent. You might want to try Dawn instead of Simple Green as there was a thread on he forum earlier about Simple Green affecting aluminum if not completely flushed. If you can't get it clean consider having a shop steam clean it. Pulling it will be a real job, that I'd try and avoid unless it was absolutely needed.
Good luck, Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
I would use one of the coil cleaners specifically made for heat exchangers in air conditioners. They are compatible with plastics, aluminum, copper etc. They contain a degreaser as part of the formula. The reason I would do this is that they contain a liquid/gas mix that evolves a gas (foaming). Evolving gas will preferentially happen at the site of a particle and works to displace it. In essence it has a scrubbing action where you cannot reach and is constantly expanding bringing fresh detergent mix to the particles and soot sites. It is just more a more effective solution for the constructions constraints that radiator fins and tubes represent. The air conditioner people who make these cleaners have been working a long time at solving the same problem that we have on our radiators and heat exchangers. This is an example of one...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Air-Conditioner-Coil-Foaming-Cleaner-AC-920/100599017?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100599017&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=100599017&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.UlQuC50o7rc

I have used these cleaners on my heat pump copper and aluminum heat exchangers and they worked well.

Later Ed