Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 22404 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Winterizing
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 02:54:03 AM »
Gary,
Not sure if the older coaches had basement t'stats or not. I never noted one on my 01 Contessa (but I never looked). Quick way to tell is to get all zones running upstairs, verify the basement fan/heat exchanger is running, then turn off each coach zone separately and see if/when basement unit stops. Main purpose of the basement unit is to keep the tanks from freezing so they are generally located in the tank compartment.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
Gary,
The thermostat for your basement heat exchanger is located above the holding tanks. It is a preset button thermostat that is set at about 40 degrees, and it is nonadjustable. If the Aqua Hot unit is on, the basement heat exchanger will turn on at the preset temperature to prevent the tanks and basement plumbing from freezing.

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
Gerald, do you know where the basement heat exchanger is located on a 1998 Marquis?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »
Adam,
It should be in the area between the top of your holding tanks and the basement ceiling above them.

Gerald

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
Gerald,
After looking everywhere except above the holding tanks, which I've determined is almost impossible to get to, I assume the only way to get there is to take the front panel off from the main electical/sewage/water connecton bay. Is that right? I've looked almost everywhere else! There's a register in the bathroom below the vanity, which is sitting on top of these tanks, and it's working, so is this it? Please, please tell me it is!!

Thanks,
Gary

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 11:32:57 PM »
Shouldn't Gary have a tank bay door like our '06 does, that latches underneath rather than having a regular and obvious handle, or were earlier models different?  Maybe, like some, he isn't aware of having such a "hidden" door.

The heat exchanger in ours, Gary, is hanging quite obvious from the ceiling above the black and gray tanks.  The bay temperature sensor probe is central up front, when that bay door is swung up, on an isolator frame that includes an Aladdin compass and temperature module.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »
Gary,
Not sure of layout for the Gillig chassis units. On the Magnum chassis, the tank compartment access is on the passenger side, about opposite the water control panel on the driver side. After lifting the bay door (3rd one on a 40' just forward of rear wheels) remove the 4 corner screws on the carpeted panel to access the tanks.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 12:44:09 AM »
Joel,
You've given me a very good clue, so I'll check this out in the morning. It's won't get below freezing. I also have it plugged in.
Thanks,
Gary
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:10:19 PM by 5 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »
If you have such a door, Gary, it will likely be where Steve suggests, just in front of the curbside rear wheels.  It may look like a plain body panel, but it is hinged at the top which may not be obvious.  My door has two hook latches underneath that operate by pressing a tab sideways to release a thumb piece that swings down, allowing the hook over the door bottom catch piece to fall loose.  You may have to get on your hands and knees to see the latches easily.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:40:16 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
Gary,
You should be able to access the basement heat exchanger through the removable panel that Steve described, but why do you want to access it? There are no adjustments that you can make. The thermostat is a non-adjustable button type that is probably clipped to a water line, and it will not turn on the basement heat exchanger above 40 degrees.

Gerald

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
Gerald,
I've found the access to the tanks, but no heat exchanger. Everything seems fine, so that's as far as I'll go with it for now. I'm getting it winterized early next week after a weekend camping trip. I'll then put in storage for awhile.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:13:24 PM by 5 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
Glad you found the tank bay, Gary... I wasn't sure where it might be since your rig is a much different model than mine, but Steve supported my notion.  Apparently we are all similarly designed in regard to that access.  Unless someone's removed it, there should be an exchanger, though.  It may look different than the others inside, should hang from the bay ceiling and isn't exactly huge, but should have radiator fins that are obvious.

I'm guessing Gary just wanted to know where his tank access was, not to necessarily fix or adjust anything, but just so he was familiar with it in case he ever has to;  there are certainly more components, like Alladin modules, plumbing, etc, in there than the exchanger.  I know I'd certainly be curious about anyplace on my rig I hadn't explored yet, and was newly made aware of its accessibility.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat