Author Topic: HEADLIGHTS  (Read 6970 times)

Dave Blystone

HEADLIGHTS
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:33:23 AM »
THANKS IN ADVANCE TODAY I WAS DRIVEING WITH MY HEADLIGHTS ON AND THERE WAS A LOUD HUM COMEING FROM SOMEPLACE IN THE FRONT OF THE MOTORHOME IF I TURNED THE TURN SIGNALS ON IT QUIT HUMMING UNTILL I FINISHED THE TURN AND THE SIGNALS TURNED OFF    THEN THE HEADLIGHTS WENT OUT COMPLEATLY  OUT  ANY IDEAS WHAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR AND IF I NEED PARTS
 ANY IDEA WHAT THE PART NUMBER ARE
  I HAVE A 2001 PATRIOT 33  AGAIN THANKS   DAVE BLYSTONE       PS CANT WAIT FOR SUMMER WE MADE THE CUT FOR THE ALASKA TRIP SEE YOU BEAVERS THERE   more ps  i did some checking this morning and it is the turning signal buzzers that are humming with the headlights on that tells me i have a feed back to the turn signals from the headlights but i have no idea where to look  thanks dave
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:42:54 PM by 528 »

Bill Sprague

Re: HEADLIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
Dave,

I'm going to make a guess!

I may have had a related problem.  If I drove in the rain water would get into the electrical bay forward of the left front wheel.  It would short out the lights when the circuit breaker got wet!  The humming sound could be rapid cycling of the automatic circuit breaker trying to reset repeatedly.  Then it wore out causing your lights to fail.  

I don't know how the turn signal would relate.

Bill

Dave Blystone

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
thanks.  the headlights came back in the morning and after checking the humming is the turn  signal buzzers i done know where to go from here i think i have a feed back to the turn signals but dont know where  dave blystone

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:17:46 PM »
Dave,

I think Bill is on the right track.

This is an educated guess....The root cause of this may just be related to the headlight problem because that is what failed. It seems unlikely that you have unrelated electrical failures at the same time both involving the lighting circuits.

The headlight/exterior light wiring, or as Bill mentioned possibly the electrical bay breaker, could have had water in it causing leakage to ground. This current leakage provided enough drop in voltage that it activated the electronic buzzer by putting the buzzer circuit in an unstable condition. When you turned the turn signals on and added that load it could have dropped below the voltage needed to activate the buzzer at all.

When the headlights quit, I suspect that the buzzer stopped also, because either the voltages would have returned to normal or no voltage would have been supplied to the buzzer because the turn signals were on the same circuit. The breaker for the headlights opened the circuit to protect it and that should have eliminated all of the overcurrent/low voltage conditions.

Water would be the most likely source especially if it was raining or if you recently washed the coach. Other sources could be a near shorted wire due to a misplaced single strand of copper, or a carbon trail between contacts in a socket from arcing due to a loose connection. Given the light breaker reset itself after sitting, it would seem that the cause is most likely water related and the source dried out. Hope this helps....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:00:33 PM by 910 »

Dave Blystone

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:23:45 PM »
i got some contact cleaner and i going to unplug the  wires going to the headlight and clean the terminals  and look for a bad ground tomarrow hope that does it    i looked in the electrial bay and all seams dry in there  damn i hate electrial problems     dave

Dave Blystone

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 01:56:32 AM »
i think i fixed it   i added a ground wire from each headlight to the frame that seems to fix it  i think the ground went bad and the light was looking for a ground and it grounded through the turn signal and that caused the  buzzer to hum     thanks dave