Author Topic: Engine Brake from 4th to 6th Gear  (Read 18141 times)

Roy C Tyler

Re: Engine Brake from 4th to 6th Gear
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »
I believe that the 4th gear program shifts to fourth automatically and then you have to manually shift to 3rd and 2nd when you need them.  I have left mine alone and it shows 2nd when the pac brake comes on.  The Allison is computer controlled and I feel that the computer knows when to shift better than I do.  I do not worry about the high RPM's because the computer wiill not allow a shift if they are too high. It is just one less thing that I have to monitor while driving.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
Ok, I have a question, When the Jake is engaged and in 4th gear on a steep grade will it allow the engine to go over it's limit on the RPM or will it disengage to save the engine?? I had a discussion about this with a friend of mine and he swears it will disengage when the RPM becomes critical. Thanks for the feedback!!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »
Larry,
The answer to your question is no the computer does not disengage the Jake Brake to prevent over riving. The transmission computer is programed to prevent over riving the engine by upshifting to the next higher gear instead of disengaging the Jake Brake. The point of contention here is where is that line. Some owners hold the full throttle redline as the maximum RPMs where others will give the engine an extra 3 to 5 hundred RPMs when the Jake is on before redline. The transmission computer is programed for the higher RPM setting.

Gerald    

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
I will shared what I have learned on this over rev subject this summer..... This is primarily aimed at the C12 and the Allison 4000 application that has been in question.

I posed the question are we protected from an over-rev condition to Ted Ostrye who is a Customer Service Rep for Allison and the answer back is "it depends". The reality is there is murky water between Cat and Allison and if everything is done right we should have a good degree of protection but the answer lies within the calibration and programming that is involved in your specific installation. It certainly can be even more murky given the history of the motor home industry and specifically Beaver in this era.

The performance calibrations that are involved were done by someone who used to work at Pacific Power that retired back in 2002 or so and some of the values lie in a program with a CIN number associated with it. Some info is even more deeply embedded in the program that operates the Allison and that is not available to a dealer. So there is a functional program within the Allison and then an end user performance parameter calibration that a dealer has access to with a CIN (Calibration ID Number). I was sent to see Ron Brown to have my CIN read. He does a lot of the seminars and training and is likely who might be at an RV rally. So I asked him how does the algorithm work that protects the engine and he was honest and said that he did not know.

When we read out my Allison ECU we found that my coach has one of several Safari C12 programs that existed. This program was original to my coach and some parameters that were set from a performance characteristic were different than he was used to seeing. I asked is that related to the 505HP version and he did not know. That is when we discussed that the person who created some of these programs had retired and he had some of his notes. Ron was helpful and provided some insight but it was clear that if you asked, "is my coach engine protected from over revving?" he simply did not know.

So I had Ron move my Jake Brake gear from 6th to 5th to try that out for awhile. I started in 4th, if you remember, and had seen 2500RPM or more with pretty violent shifts taking place when down shifting with the Jake at speeds sometimes exceeding 65Mph. I left Pacific Power with my CIN reports.

From a third party I got hold of a name of a long time engineer within Allison and started the same discussion. His name was Jerry Hacker. I provided my Engine info, the max RPM  governor speed from Cat of 2100RPM,  the tire size having a 125.9in circumference or 503 Rev Per Mile, the gear ratio of my rear end being 430, all of these values are used in some way and need to be right. We then got into a discussion of a value that I had in the CIN report of a 2430 RPM as a value that turned on the engine overspeed indicator and he said that was a very generous value for this (size?) engine. I asked if it was correct and he simply said that was a very generous value. I tried to query if that over rev condition set an upshift point and if there was a table within the Allison program that sent the transmission to 5th instead or 4th or does it go to fourth get the over rev condition and then react from that result and then move you to 5th. I really did not get an answer to that question, he was going to look a little deeper. In the meantime I sent the info of the C12/Allison 4000 Beaver coach that had an engine failure due to over revving that had generated a law suit at that time. From that point on I could not seem to get any further info or call backs and I am not sure if legal got involved or what.

My impression from all this is that there may be some problem between the C12 and the Allison 4000 and what had been done for programming and calibration, but that is reading between the lines a bit here. I cannot be sure of this but Jerry seemed quite surprised that 2430 RPM was an overspeed and that seemed to be a bit of a red flag to him.

I cannot tell you that we are protected by what was done in the original program and it would seem that nobody else can either without digging much deeper here. If some technician that does end programming at an Allison dealer or works for Allison tells you that you are protected from over revving your C12, ask him what are the values that are used and how does the shift/protection algorithm work. The fact is without this info we either choose blind faith that everything was done right between Cat, Allison, and Beaver for all the different configurations they made or choose to be a bit defensive in managing our own max RPM. That is simple to do by moving the Jake gear preselect to 5th or 6th in the Allison program at a dealer if your rear end gearing warrants this for the speeds you travel. If you turn on the Jake and you ever see RPMs above 2300RPM I would simply make the move. I say that due to Jerry's reaction to 2430RPMs as an over rev....this is my 2 cents on the latest info that we have access to.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:21:57 PM by 910 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!! I get nervous when I see the engine RPM creeping over 2100 so I usually hit the brakes to slow the coach down to make me feel warm and fuzzy. My friend felt I was protected from over reving in the programing but I still didn't want to take a chance of producing an over rev issue. So from what I'm reading here I think I will continue to use the brakes rather than take a chance of blowing the engine. Thanks again!! :)
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Ron Johnson

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »
Yes, thank you  for the feedback, Ed. I had Allison change my 4000 from 4th to 6th a few years ago and have enjoyed the added flexibility since. I did it initially to save the service brakes [replaced everything on the front 2.5 years ago] and I generally managed the downshifting from 6th to 5th to 4th myself keeping the rpms where I can always downshift with out over reving or harshness. I enjoy the change, and feel safer but that's just me.

Edward Buker

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 12:58:32 AM »
It is dilemma that you have all this money invested and you would think that you could get an answer to a simple question, which is, what is the maximum RPM that I should experience given the internal protection algorithm between the C12 and the Allison 4000? What you get as an answer is that you should be protected if everything was done right.....

I know that I have had some shifts from 6th to 4th that felt down right violent before I had it re-programmed. I do not believe that the parties involved really wanted the C12 to go to 2500RPM and beyond and provide the braking torque to all the drivetrain components in such an abrupt manner. That just doesn't make sense to me. Each of us will have to do what we think is best for our own situation but I would say keep one eye on the tach and consider that 2100RPM is Cat's max governor limit and one could see clear to maybe 2300RPM as a reasonably low risk max RPM using the Jake. I think it is no man's land beyond that and there is no need to have your engine RPM in that range anyway. You get plenty of Jake braking HP at 1800 to 2100RPMs and either you manage that engagement point yourself using the service brakes, to be at a safe 4th gear speed, or get the Allison programmed to 5th or 6th and not worry about this at all.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 01:54:56 AM »
Since it hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread, there were at least two different sets of gear ratios used for Beavers in the 1999-2001 period.  Marquis's used gear ratios that put them at ~2100 rpm at ~57 mph in 4th according to previous posts here.  In comparison my Thunder runs at ~65 mph when turning 2100 rpm in 4th.  Therefore, the impact of ensuring I never put on the Jake >2100 rpm is inconsequential for me since we don't drive over 65, anyway.  My Allison will go into 6th at ~63 mph and our toad isn't supposed to be towed faster than 65.  

Therefore, for Thunder owners the only issue is making sure that you don't start to gain speed on a downhill with the Jake on and overrun 65 by all that much.  IMHO if you're gaining speed on a downhill with the Jake on full you're going too fast and should be applying your service brakes anyway.  After considering all these issues we've decided to leave the Jake alone since the downshift to 4th near the engine's redline provides maximum stopping power which is nice on steep grades.

Edward Buker

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
Joel,

It is a good point that not all configurations are the same. Your 4th gear Jake engagement is somewhat like using 5th in my coach except my top RPM engagement is about 70MPH or so using 5th. One size does not fit all here and you certainly are in a good place given your driving habits and coach configuration.

Now that I have tried all the Jake gearing options, 4th is clearly out for me, 5th is the least fuss with a good compromise of RPM and braking HP, 6th is a little more versatile for use on most interstate hills given it will hold speed on shallower slopes without slowing the coach too much saving fuel. You can turn the Jake on and off in 5th and accomplish similar results if you do not choose the 6th gear Jake option. If you use 6th with the Jake and the brake HP is not enough, you simply hit the down shift button and the 5th engagement is gentle without worry of an over rev, given the rev was low enough not to have sufficient braking HP to start with.  No white knuckles with either of these options....

Well we have about beat this one to death yet again. After much discussion with Allison folks it is clear to me that the degree of protection that your engine has is a complex answer that relies on many parties (Cat, Allison, Monaco/Beaver) all cooperating and doing their jobs correctly. I could easily see a differential gearing change at Beaver/Monaco happening in production and the same old program being dropped into the Allison....I think that is more typical
of the Motorhome industry at Beaver/Monaco then it might be with a standardized Freightliner chassis produced for the motorhome or truck industry. This was the wild west.....

Later Ed

Gary Nash

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
There has been lots of discussion about reprogramming the transmission. I have the 4060 Allison / Cat 12.  Looked thru this fourm, but unable to fine who does the reporgram. For those who had their transmission reporgrammed, where did you it done?
1997 Marque, C12

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
A full line Detroit Allison shop will be able to reprogram your trans, call around to the class 8 truck dealers, they can point you to the shop that can preform the simple task. One key thing you will have to know is where your trans computer port is located, on most its under the top dash panel behind the instruments. I had our Beaver Patriot 525 redone in Pasco Wa. at the Kenworth dealer, now it works like it should, what ever gear your in it will stay there instead of shifting down to 4th, some coaches slam into 3rd.
The trans will still shift down as you slow down, coming from a trucking back ground I found that the shift down aspect was just stupid and also it would over rev the motor.
Now I can slide off a small hill and just sit on the Jake brake in 6th, if I need more I just hit the button down to 5th or 4th also gives the driver something to do besides dodge cars.

Gary Nash

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »
Thanks Lee, I will call a class 8 truck dealer. I called a Allison dealer, the service man didn't know what I was talking about. He said he would check into it. I will do some more calling.
1997 Marque, C12

Keith Duner

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 11:51:01 PM »
You will have better luck with an Allison distributor rather than a dealer.  You can find the nearest by using the Allison website.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 11:56:09 PM »
I got the Kenworth dealer in Pasco off the Allison site, most will be at a class 8 truck shop, A couple of the others from the Allison site didn't know what I was talking about, just keep fishing until to hit the correct one.

Gary Nash

• BAC Member
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »
Great Day - Went to Stewart and Stevensons today in Dallas and they programmed my transmission so jake will engage in six instead of fourth gear. Works great, much better. Again, thanks all for your input. A wealth of knowledge on this forum!
1997 Marque, C12