Author Topic: Check Engine Light  (Read 6319 times)

Bob Jae

Check Engine Light
« on: October 28, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
This morning we moved our coach into winter storage.  I turned on the HydroHot to preheat the engine for about 45 minutes.  The outside temperature was 45.  The engine started but died twice, then started and ran on the third attempt.  A short time later I noticed the check engine light was flashing.  I counted the pulses and counted 6 pause 3 and then it repeated.  After a few minutes the light went out and stayed out.  The 20 mile trip to storage was uneventful.   I have searched for a 63 code but have not found an answer.  I believe this happened in the spring also when it was cool.

Hoping someone knows what the code means and better yet where I can find the list of codes.

Thanks

George H. Wall

Re: Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »
Do yoou have a Cummins or CAT engine?

Bob Jae

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »
Sorry George I thought that was in my signature I will have to edit that.

It is a CAT C9 400HP

George H. Wall

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
Bob, My Cummins code come out on my VMS with the explenations with them. I'm sure some of the CAT owners can help you with them.  Henry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
Bob-

My manual lists up to Code 74, with many numbers not existent along the way.  Unfortunately 63 is one of the numbers not listed.  I'd take it to a CAT authorized service facility and have them check the code history.  Be aware some fault codes automatically disappear from the ECM after 100 hours.

You apparently have a couple facility options around Varysburg, including Buffalo Truck Center in Buffalo, and Boyles in Batavia.  Check the CAT website for any troubleshooting info and other service facility options.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:10:15 AM »
Thanks Joel I will try to give them a call.

Steve Jewell

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 04:56:18 AM »
Bob,

Flash code 63 is a fuel pressure problem (more than likely low pressure). How old are your fuel filters? It can also be caused by high fuel pressure (not likely). Do not ignore this problem it will damage your injectors.

Steve

Bob Jae

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
Thanks Steve I will change the filters in the Spring when it comes out of storage.